Modular F-104 70mm EDF Jet development and testing

telnar1236

Elite member
I've been toying with the idea of a modular plane for a while. The two big advantages are that it would give a similar versatility to Flite Test Swappables for experimenting with different configurations, and, if a part was broken, you could just replace that part instead of rebuilding large parts of the aircraft. There are also a number of challenges to overcome, with the largest two being weight and the durability of the connections. That said, I think I've built up enough experience with 3D printed planes to make it work. If this system works as I hope it will, I plan to use it for all of my future designs. I've been working on this for quite a while in the background, but didn't want to post a thread about it until I was pretty confident I could make it work.

I have a few goals with this project.
1. Make a modular system able to be used for many different designs
2. Make it easy to print (limited use of supports, normal PLA, fits on an Ender 3 or equivalent)
3. Make it able to be used for prop or 64mm EDF or 70mm EDF
4. Make the propulsion system removable and compatible with foam board power pods (via an adapter)
5. Design it for 3s or 4s to make the batteries more affordable and safer
6. Design a number of planes for the system ranging from a trainer to warbirds to 6 channel + EDFs
7. Design connection hardware that can be printed independent of the rest of the system to allow for experimentation with foam board parts
8. Make flight-tested STLs available on this forum
9. Continue to refine the design based on experience to make it as simple as possible to use
10. Design/build data logging hardware/software that can be installed in multiple configurations
11. Actually take video of each design flying (probably onboard RunCam on the tail)

The design I am currently working with uses circular connection hardware that twists together and locks in place with two screws per joint for the fuselage. For the wings and tail I decided not to reinvent the wheel and am using connections very similar to what you'll see on commercially available RC planes. All of the fuselage sections for the initial tests are cylindrical and fit tightly around the internal components, but I plan on designing additional fuselage shapes in the future. I took some inspiration from the appearance of @Power_Broker 's modular design ( https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/large-modular-uav-design.69987/ )without really knowing the geometry of the internal structure.

I am now on my fourth set of test hardware and the first that should be flight-capable. My first design was mostly to experiment with fits and connection system geometries. It never even got printed. My initial thought was also to make the wing sections modular to allow for as much versatility as possible, but I couldn't make the aerodynamics work.
1680384839040.png

My second iteration was meant to experiment with fits for the connection hardware and got partially printed. It took me several hours to get everything to go together right for just two pieces, so it definitely needed some optimization. It was also too heavy.

1680385025331.png
20230401_174013.jpg

Version three was the first that would probably have been flight-capable had I finished the design. However, I still wasn't happy with how everything fit together, and I did some back of the envelope calculations that left me concerned with the strength of the connections (the margin of safety was about 0.02 for a 10g maneuver which was too close for comfort). The connection hardware fit better and only took about 30 minutes to get to fit, but still required post processing with a hand saw.

20230320_212657.jpg
20230320_212616.jpg

Which brings me to version 4 - the current version. I changed the orientation of the print for the connection hardware which almost doubles the strength and improves the tolerances I can achieve but requires it to be printed in 6 parts instead of 2. However, it's an enormous improvement and the time to assemble a connection is about 10 minutes plus the time for the CA to harden. The only post processing required is breaking all the edges with a knife. I decided to build the first model in the shape of an F-104 (I have a reputation to keep up after all). The real advantage is the enormous amount of time I spent characterizing the design of the F-104 for my 50mm EDF and 80mm EDF versions which saves a lot of time. However, I expect a trainer jet with different wings and a tail optimized as a jet trainer to be ready to fly about a week after I first test the F-104 version. Then some prop designs will follow and then more and more varying jets.

1680386171030.png

20230401_180739.jpg

Another big improvement over the previous versions is that the cheater inlet is now 130% FSA for a typical 70mm EDF (I went and measured all the 70mm EDFs in my possession) which means that additional conventional inlets are strictly optional which will make experimenting with widely varying designs simpler. This F-104 in particular has inlets worth 215% FSA and I didn't measure any noticeable change in thrust between having the fan installed and in free air which is a first for me. The final AUW should be about 1550 grams and the EDF (a Powerfun 70mm 4s unit running on a 3600 mAh 4s pack) outputs about 1600 grams so the final TWR should be about 1, even if the weight grows a bit (as it always does). Built light with fixed gear and 4 channels, this plane should weigh in at about 1 kg so it should also be possible to fly it on a strong 64mm EDF which I will eventually test.

telnar1236

Elite member
The tail and slotted flaps are done. Based on the difficulty with this hinge design and its weight, I'm going to revise the elevator hinge design to a different one I have used in the past for the final version. Unfortunately, the slotted flaps cannot be changed in the same way, so I'm designing easier to print plain flaps that I'll test for the final version alongside the higher lift slotted ones.
20230403_171719.jpg

I've also started designing parts that will work with props instead of EDFs. The fuselage sections match up with the EDF ones, and the wings have the same root chord and airfoil as the F-104 which should make the parts fully interchangeable (although it's an open question whether the prop configuration would fly with F-104 wings). The nose section has provisions for an optional nose wheel for planes like the T-28. I'm also working on a high wing, a parasol wing, and a biplane fuselage section for use with the prop (or EDF) variant.

1680557694921.png

model14

I've been reading a lot of your posts on 3D printed designs. Anxiously awaiting a video of your first flight test. Have I just missed them? It is interesting work you are doing, but how well do they fly?

telnar1236

Elite member
I've been reading a lot of your posts on 3D printed designs. Anxiously awaiting a video of your first flight test. Have I just missed them? It is interesting work you are doing, but how well do they fly?
I've been pretty remiss about getting flight video. My big goal with the previous designs has been to have fun and to post it since others might find it interesting without going too far out of my way and a lot of the designs have been pretty specific to what I wanted and not designed to be easy for others to make. I originally planned to make the 50mm F-104 something others could build easily, but after spending several months building it, I don't think I succeeded. I also haven't wanted to deal with the challenge of videoing the planes or of figuring out how to upload everything to YouTube.
This project should be different in that the goal is to design something that others might want to build, so I'm making an effort to better document everything. One modular part is a mount for a RunCam on the tail, so every set of parts I'll be releasing will have onboard flight video showing how they fly in at least one configuration (because of the modular nature of the design, I will not be building/testing every configuration for obvious reasons). Looking through my photos, the only one I have of a plane in flight is from the 8 ft. wingspan cargo plane I built last summer.
422421_e453429d57195cdff596f557297120b3.jpg
Hopefully, I've also been pretty transparent when something hasn't worked out, like posting the crash of the 80mm F-104 and about how the MiG 21 didn't fly at all.

As for how each plane I've posted in a thread flew:

Modular Plane - not tested, hopefully a maiden flight this weekend with video
MiG 21 - did not fly
50mm F-104 Starfighter - flies well but can deep stall - currently undergoing repairs after a loss of signal - turns out the aluminum foil was a bad idea
Powerup MiG 15 - kind of hard to tell with the limited controls and sensitivity to wind but a bit heavy
Aluminum structure RC plane - didn't finish building it because of problems with the joints being brittle
8ft wingspan cargo plane - flew well but was heavy - disassembled it because it was too big
64mm Foam board F-106 - never even finished posting the thread but it flew fine
Dumas F-105 rc conversion - barely flew at all
Micro Mirage iii - flew fine, not very interesting
Balsa F-104 - version 1 flew poorly and was prone to spins - never flew version 3 myself but the friend I gave it to said it flew ok

telnar1236

Elite member
The CAD is done! And all but a few parts are printed. Weather permitting, the maiden flight should be this weekend
1680751035469.png

telnar1236

Elite member
The printed plane now matches the CAD! The only thing remaining is to install the remaining electronics. Current weight is 1430 grams, so I'm right on track for an AUW of 1550 grams. The CG is a bit far back as printed, right now, but the updates to the elevator should fix that in the final version. For the maiden flight, I'll just add some nose weight.

20230406_200835.jpg

I've also identified another fix I want to make. The hatch will be slightly different in the final version to make it a bit simpler to open and close. Finally, the maiden flight will be accomplished with fixed leading edges but I plan to make a second pair of wings with slats so I can test those.

model14

I am having trouble visualizing the size of the F-104. Can you please post key dimensions for the F-104. What is the calculated wing loading?
Thanks

telnar1236

Elite member
The jet is approximately the same size and weight as the Freewing 70mm F-104. The length is 1355.6 mm (53.3"), the wingspan is 624.7 mm (24.6"), and the height is 269.5 mm (10.6") with the gear up. The wing loading is 110 N/m^2 or 0.016 lb/in^2 assuming a 1.5 kg weight and 124 N/m^2 or 0.018 lb/in^2 assuming a weight of 1.7 kg. The max coefficient of lift should be about 1.1 with the flaps up and 1.5-1.6 with the flaps at full deflection which should give a flaps up stall speed of 12.9 m/s (28.9 mph) and a full flaps stall speed of 11.0 m/s (24.7 mph).

model14

Okay, thanks. I am really surprised at the weight of your 104. I had expected something significantly more for a "plastic" structure.

telnar1236

Elite member
Okay, thanks. I am really surprised at the weight of your 104. I had expected something significantly more for a "plastic" structure.
This plane is actually a bit heavy for a 3D printed plane. The F-104 shape uses deceptively little material for its bounding box dimensions. The weight of this plane is only a bit lighter than that of the Freewing 70mm F-104, but this 3d printed design is powered by a 4s 3000 mAh pack while the Freewing design is powered by a 6s 4000 mAh pack so the 3d printed structure is a good deal heavier.

The geometry that makes it modular also adds maybe 100 grams to the total weight, and some of the parts have some room left for optimization. For example, the new elevator design should reduce the weight of the horizontal stabilizer assembly by about 30 grams and there is also room for some optimization in the wings and vertical stabilizer.
1680918979299.png

telnar1236

Elite member
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the plane to fly this weekend. Hopefully, I'll be able to fly it next weekend. The good news is that it lets me make a number of changes that I wanted to make, so the version I test will be closer to the final version.

Last edited:

telnar1236

Elite member
Didn't want to share the full story behind "didn't get it to fly today" until I had a full conclusion. As it turns out, it was good old fashioned pilot error. I recently changed to a transmitter with much looser gimbals, and it turns out I gave it a lot more elevator than I thought on takeoff. Then, the natural instability of the F-104 at high angles of attack took over and that was that. The wings and tail are fine, but the fuselage needs to be reprinted.
F-104 Deep Stall.gif

model14

Sorry to see that. I know you will fix the problem and get right back out there. That's the berauty of scratch building; you don't have to wait for parts. Just build new ones.

telnar1236

Elite member
Looking at the crash video frame by frame, one good thing came out of the crash. I got pretty good validation of my connection system design. Even with the dramatic crash destroying everything forward of the wings, the forward-most connection rings actually survived and remained connected. In addition, only one failure location was on a connection ring anywhere in all the damage. This indicates that the connections do not weaken the plane in any significant way when compared to a normal 3D printed plane. This frame from the video is a pretty good illustration of the durability. The entire front is disintegrating, but the connection rings remain intact and connected.
1681256831225.png

telnar1236

Elite member
The modular F-104 is rebuilt. It took longer than a hoped because of repeated power outages last week, but it should be ready to fly next weekend. I incorporated a few refinements that didn't quite make it into the first design resulting in a weight reduction of about 30 grams (2%) and a simplified assembly process. The landing gear are also much now designed to use PETG filament to provide suspension.
20230417_175257.jpg

20230417_175341.jpg