A needed distraction from building and flying planes

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
After my Extra hard landing with my Extra, I needed a sidebar from building and flying airplanes for a minute. Also, I figured exploring different aspects of the RC hobby would build my skills and widen opportunities to enjoy RC powered vehicles when camping and other times when you cant fly. So I plopped down a wad of cash and purchased an SCX10 II builders kit, Jeep body to mach our JK Wrangler (Wife's Jeep) and a bunch of parts then got to building and painting. I finished it up last night and was really impressed with the build. It took me about a month to build this from a million parts working a few hours here and there. If your interested there is a build thread article over at RC Groups. Jeep Build Thread
I will also be putting in some FPV gear from my Durafly Tundra plane that I can switch back and forth from plane to jeep for fun.

I'm also getting into boats as I have already built a boat years ago and also build flying boats (planes). I have a Miss Severn 1922 Hacker Gold Cup Scale model electric Boat that I will start this winter. I like building planes, but I'm looking forward to taking a break and working on something different and less stressful to operate also.

Attachments

• JFJJD.jpg
    JFJJD.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 0
  • JJHG.jpg
    JJHG.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HJKFF.jpg
    HJKFF.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 0
  • JDD.jpg
    JDD.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Good model choice. The SCX series is tried and true. There are a ton of aftermarket mods as well.

Seeing this makes me want to dig out my old franken truck and find ambition to grind out the bad ball joints and get that back to running condition. You should post this up in the Drive On YT page Alex started. I am sure he and Austin would love to see this beautiful model.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I just took it for it’s maiden voyage tonight and a 3s 5000 30c battery lasted 1 1/2 hours with voltage to spare. I rolled it down our hill (big hill) a few times and no damage! Totally different than airplanes that are so fragile and batteries only last 7 minutes.

Attachments

• E7A555B0-97DA-4FA1-B314-EAE4FD1E5B0D.jpeg
    E7A555B0-97DA-4FA1-B314-EAE4FD1E5B0D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Isnt that a boys job that early in life. Push things to the point of breaking. Then either learn to fix them or get a summer job to replace the broken toys. I was lucky I had both options. I learned how to take care of things early because replacement wasnt in the cards with help from mom after the divorce. Then when I did have odd jobs as a kid I had already learned how to fix things from my grandfather or uncle or had got to the point of taking better care of things. Like NOT leaving a 45 dollar baseball mitt in the rain out in the back yard so I did not have to spend hard earned money on replacing things.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I feel like a kid again, this rc crawling is fun, plus we just moved into this house with a hill as a big back yard and now I know what to do with it...make a crawler course! Of course, I'm not sure that is what the wife has planed for the backyard...

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

SportyModder

I LOVE Crawlers! I tend to split my time between trucks and planes.

If you do not mind, I will share a couple pictures...

My Bronco
Scx10II axles with a Scx10 Chassis, on top of St Mary's peak, MT.
XP8lobXl.jpg

My wife's Scx10 and my Honcho rtr.

MsglHsBl.jpg

My Raw Builders kit, 3000kv brushless 2spd. Next to my friends Scx10 2.2 Bronco.

O4JKSC7l.jpg

YrNz7LDl.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Nice! I need to get mine out in the wild and take it for a spin. Just backyard and local crawler course so far.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Alright yall need ta stop... all these cool pics are gonna make more work for me hehe. Maybe on the cold snowy no fly days I will dig out the franken beast and start hand filing out the ball joints on mine and get that back to running again. Might be a fun diversion in the snow if I can get a friend to do a nitro run for me as the fuel I have now is like 4 years old and probably mostly water by now.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My backyard trail course I made really quick. I did some FPV but did not like it all that much. FPV is better for aircraft.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Dang it...Now I want a rock crawler...Of course, I also envision having one that has front and rear lockers, and I can shift between high and low, so I know it'll never happen (I have Champagne dreams, but a Bud Light checkbook budget) LOL.

SportyModder

Dang it...Now I want a rock crawler...Of course, I also envision having one that has front and rear lockers, and I can shift between high and low, so I know it'll never happen (I have Champagne dreams, but a Bud Light checkbook budget) LOL.

One rig Traxxas Trx4...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Continuing on with the distraction from building airplanes, I have decided to put my 1/4 scale Sig Cub with floats on hold until next winter and concentrate on repairing and flying my current large fleet of airplanes. I also just put a boat building project in the build room and will work on this through the spring and summer months. It's a 1/8 scale 1922 Miss Severn Hacker Gold Cup Racer, laser cut kit produced by Mack Products. It is one heck of a project, but will be gorgeous when completed and I am hoping what I learned from building airplanes will help produce and work of art. My current fleet of airplanes is substantial now as a friend sold me a bunch of his airplanes because he is moving, so it's a good time to switch gears and build something different. In the pictures you can see my build room readied for the build and I am beginning it now.

Attachments

• bt1.jpg
    bt1.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 0