A new attempt to start right.

quorneng

Master member
Always puzzled why people feel the need to place the battery at the CofG. Quite logical for a fuel tank as it get lighter as its contents are burned up but a battery weighs the same all the time.;)
In electric flight It is also the heaviest single component so it makes sense to use it to achieve a suitable balance.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Always puzzled why people feel the need to place the battery at the CofG. Quite logical for a fuel tank as it get lighter as its contents are burned up but a battery weighs the same all the time.;)
In electric flight It is also the heaviest single component so it makes sense to use it to achieve a suitable balance.
You are right :).

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

I do this because if the plane is built balanced already and the battery sits on the CG, then I can switch out different sizes / weights of batteries without messing up the balance of the plane.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Everything's ready. The center of gravity is in place. All that remains is to fix the battery and then go see how it flies. :unsure:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Everything's ready. The center of gravity is in place. All that remains is to fix the battery and then go see how it flies. :unsure:
View attachment 138697 View attachment 138698 View attachment 138699
View attachment 138700

The anticipation is killin me man... 4 pages of build, no maiden vid yet?!!

Good job on the build btw. I kinda did the same thing on my first build but made it way heavier and as a beginner I couldn't get it to fly. I commend you my friend, done well (y)(y)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
If you can balance the plane without using extra weights or the battery you will be in the enviable position of having a plane that can use a wider variation of batteries on the CofG - this rarely happens :)

Corbarrad

If you can balance the plane without using extra weights or the battery you will be in the enviable position of having a plane that can use a wider variation of batteries on the CofG - this rarely happens :)
Come to think of it that was exactly the case with my project plane, the Electra. Back then the receiver ran on a seperate battery anyway so you could just remove the prop, leave out the battery and you'd have a very light glider responsive to any thermals you might have.
I just realized this just added another must have point to my design portfolio...

Also, because I just read through the rest of the thread:
Sorry for the delay,but I'm getting married on September 1st, so no planes until after the honeymoon. ;)
will be back soon. :D
Best of wishes from me as well. Enjoy your honeymoon together.

Last edited: