A new attempt to start right.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I've been checking the fuselage and I think it's very weak. The foam I use is not high density, so the 5mm sheet is too fragile. I've decided to build the fuselage the way I usually do.
Then I will cut it in half and dispose the electronics properly inside. The original model uses rubber bands to fix the wings, instead, I will use screws as I usually do.
new.jpg new2.jpg

I will try to make room to place the power pod, otherwise I will attach the engine to the fuselage directly.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
quorneng, That's a lesson but it leaves me with more doubts than answers. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The WCL - "Wing Cubic Loading" post and link addresses the wing loading that @quorneng mentions and displays the straight "Wing Loading" calculation too (it's the box right above the final WCL number).

The performance recommendation is the same either way, and I think the plan you are following gets you to the place you want to be.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
The WCL - "Wing Cubic Loading" post and link addresses the wing loading that @quorneng mentions and displays the straight "Wing Loading" calculation too (it's the box right above the final WCL number).

The performance recommendation is the same either way, and I think the plan you are following gets you to the place you want to be.

I'm more relaxed :D. I think everything is going well. I hope to be able to take advantage and advance as much as I can this weekend.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
The fuselage is going pretty slow. I have been emptying to create space for the battery and electronics. It's better to be safe even if it takes longer.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
The build is looking great! I need to get some of those plastic tube cotton swaps - they look very handy to have around!

Oh yea, those plastic tube cotton swaps are really usefull, not just for this, they can be used too as push roads guides and for mock machine guns. Those are really light and flexible.

Fot this
9.jpg
U can also use shrink wrap.

quorneng

Master member
I know long strip ailerons are currently fashionable but I do wonder how much 'twist' there might between the horn and the aileron tip when under load. It is after all the outer portion of the aileron that has the most leverage to generate a roll effect.

Outboard ailerons with Individual 1/2 size servos might be just as effective giving a better 'definition' and be no heavier.
Just saying. ;)

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Thank you quorneng for the observation. I was also concerned about this. EPP ailerons are fragile and could be subjected to unwanted twisting. For this reason I did two things:
first, I reinforced the ailerons with two layers of transparent packing tape. This made them really strong and torsion-resistant.
And second, instead of placing the horn on the inside tip of the aileron, as the plane suggests, I placed it near the center, to help the outside of the aileron.

The whole thing looks really strong, for now I think it can fly like that perfectly. Let's see in practice. ;)
Thank you very much for your advice, the truth is that you are right in your words. :)

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I'm back. After an idle time, I've devoted a few hours to the project again.
The plane is almost ready, only some details are missing.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

When I finished putting everything in place, I realized that there was no way to balance the plane properly, and that it was excessively tail heavy.
The servos were placed near the tail, where it shows the red arrow. So I had to bring them forward.
3-1.jpg 4.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Even with the servos close to the center of gravity, it was still too heavy on the tail. Striving so hard in this construction to keep it light, I don't intend to give up by adding counterweights.
So I decided to exchange the positions of the ESC and the battery. The result is a fully balanced aircraft.
5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
For the landing gear i used again one of those many parts of my old umbrella and some bike spokes.
8.jpg 9.jpg
Once attached to the fuselage, it will also help by add weight to the nose for a better balance without the need to have the battery so far ahead.

quorneng

Master member
Still a bit surprised it needed the 2200 3s to be right at the front behind the motor and the servo under the wing.
Its tail end must be heavier than it looks!
Does that ESC have any airflow round it? They do get warm and foam is a wonderful thermal insulator.;)
Many ESCs have a thermal protection facility to protect from over heating. A free airflow around the ESC should keep it cool enough.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Still a bit surprised it needed the 2200 3s to be right at the front behind the motor and the servo under the wing.
Its tail end must be heavier than it looks!
Does that ESC have any airflow round it? They do get warm and foam is a wonderful thermal insulator.;)
Many ESCs have a thermal protection facility to protect from over heating. A free airflow around the ESC should keep it cool enough.

Sorry, it was my foult, I didn't explain myself well.. The main idea was to place the battery under the gravity Center, just below the wings
11111.jpg
But that was imposible. gess i used to much hot glue in the tail section. Thanks god everytihg is ok now :).

I am planing to open some big air intakes just at both sides of nose, like this model
dalotel_07b.jpg
And of course, some exit holes... to allow air flow.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking great! I think you will be happy with spending the time to move things around to avoid adding extra balancing weight.

I know there is some forumla for the size of the exit openings compared to the intake openings for best airflow, but I forget what it is right now. I think it's double the size of the exit compared to the intake for good flow.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Looking great! I think you will be happy with spending the time to move things around to avoid adding extra balancing weight.

I know there is some forumla for the size of the exit openings compared to the intake openings for best airflow, but I forget what it is right now. I think it's double the size of the exit compared to the intake for good flow.

Oh yes, i will try to avoid ussing extra weight, think that just moveing the components will work pretty well.
Just was thinking on that, twice of size for the exit holes comparing with intake should work ok. Anyway thanks for the advice.
Will post more advances soon.