A new Family in the RC World

DavisMadScience

I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to the guys at flitetest for giving my family the courage to jump headfirst in to the world of RC. My daughter Lanna and I have started a youtube channel to document our first attempts and we invite everyone to stop by. We are wide open to suggestions and any comments criticisms you might have. It's amazing how much our family has come together over pieces of plastic and a few electronics.

https://youtu.be/G46h_ncW3z4

Above is the link to our first video in what we hope is a quite a few episodes devoted to family RC builds and flight.

Once again thanks to Flitetest for some great videos and promoting family RC

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Hey Scott and Lanna,

welcome to the forum. :)

Looks like you guys are having fun even though Lanna rolls her eyes at dad now and then :rolleyes:. :)

DavisMadScience

Teenagers know it all don't they? hehe

She's been doing that to me for years. I'm always reminded of that saying by Mark Twain

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

I'm proud to say that both my kids use Ma'am and Sir when talking to adults and treat them with respect. I still get eye rolling but I'm fine with the tradeoff. I have gained a bit of Super Dad credits by doing this project with her so it's all good.

I will say that teaching her to fly without auto level or loiter on has shown me that she does possess the ability to focus on something other than minecraft builds.

DavisMadScience

Thanks Dharan

We are glad to be here. I appreciate the offer as I'm sure as we get in to the more technical builds we'll need all the help we can get

Welcome to the forums, happy to lend a hand if you have any questions. Sadly I'm the only mad scientist in our family that fly and destroy stuff.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hi Scott.

I have the same problem as Lanna with not looking at the camera. It might help to put something for her to look at near the camera, like a pingpong ball, or a stuffed animal.

Fred

jamboree1

Hi Scott.

I have the same problem as Lanna with not looking at the camera. It might help to put something for her to look at near the camera, like a pingpong ball, or a stuffed animal.

Fred

Fred, it's a TEENage girl, not a 5 year old, a cell phone would work better.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Fred, it's a TEENage girl, not a 5 year old, a cell phone would work better.

HA!

I know. But, with the stuffed animal, it gives the person talking a "face" to look at. I have done a few videos, and find it very hard to "stare into the lens" but having something near the lens that I can talk to, has helped me in the past.

mdmccat

Lanna, I loved the video and can tell you're a very bright young lady. You've got a terrific dad (who is also very sharp). From what I can see, you're taking the right steps and going into this prepared. Can't wait to see more videos and hope this experience brings you challenges, accomplishments and closer to dad. Best of luck to the both of you!

DavisMadScience

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

We plan on posting a least a video a week and have a couple "in post production" lol and a couple we need to reshoot due to dad not reading documentation. (it's Pitch dummy not yaw) just to name a few. The last thing I want is someone to get out of the sport because we misinformed them.

The great thing is that we have quite a few kids in our little town showing an interest already. Big Lake is a small community in the middle of Oil field country and a lot of these kids aren't getting a lot of attention at home. This may be bigger than we intended.

Lanna and I are now broadening our scope and looking at the possibility of adding some group activities. Look out FT I see a lot of speed builds in our future :)

DavisMadScience

Hi Balu

I noticed you were from Germany today, (Shows how much attention I've been paying doesn't it?). I spent most of my teen age years over there. My Dad was stationed in Bueren (Sorry no umlaut on my keyboard) Southwest of Paderborn and I graduated from an American High School in Osterholz. I served in the army in Pirmasens and a little town south of Dortmund that I can't remember the name of.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Büren is about 1.5 hours away from where I live by car :).

It's funny that when I visited the US last year, everybody had a family member who lived or served in Germany. Those who didn't were wondering why I wasn't wearing leather trousers... =)

DavisMadScience

Our Next Video is up

Sorry about the quality of this one. We got real busy the last 2 weeks and I ended up editing in a hurry. I left in some of our mistakes because I love to hear my daughter laugh. I know this is just a review like so many others of a small quad but I just can't stress enough the importance of learning to fly before putting a bunch of money in a drone.