A new foldable quadcopter made from scratch..

sirtoby666

helli freak
A new foldable quadcopter made from scratch.. now with drawings

I always had problems with the transportation of my quadcopter and this is how i soled it.

This is my build step by step...

DSC_01.jpg
I had som plans for a foldable quadcopter based of David Vindestål tricopter and this was the outcome.

DSC_02.jpg
I made the quadcopter in 3 mm lauan plywood, its cheap and if something goes wrong you can always do a new one.

DSC_03.jpg
Consider it marked.. i taped it so it would be easier to saw.

DSC_04.jpg
I used a standard jigsaw to make the parts. The point by doing this is as i did was that i wanted to use as much materials that you can buy in a ordinary hardware store and use ordinary tools.

DSC_05.jpg
Testing the frame functions, I changed the positions of the arms after i first mounted it. The angle of the front booms where to tight when i folded it together. The booms are about 10" or 25cm

DSC_06.jpg
I used a Hobbywing Quattro ESC for a tight fit and a slim look.

DSC_07.jpg
This was before i changed the front booms, it is a much better fit further down in this picture gallery.

DSC_08.jpg
I used a bit of vulcanising tape to tape the cables together so they shouldn't get caught in between the booms and the frame when you fold it.

DSC_09.jpg
Cables from the ESC and power cable to the BEC.

DSC_10.jpg
Some ugly green ties and we are one step closer to the end.

DSC_11.jpg
Some big as 1000kv motors, a little bit oversized but you take what you've got.

DSC_12.jpg
A special velcro for kitchen panels, it has excellent capabilities of reducing vibration so its very good to use on your flight controller.

DSC_13.jpg
A stripped receiver.

DSC_14.jpg
An ordinary straw makes a excellent antenna holder.

DSC_15.jpg
Just drill a hole and "woala" you have a nice bendable antenna holder.

DSC_16.jpg
So when you want to fold it and put it in the bag the antenna stays in one piece.

DSC_17.jpg
Antenna and lipoalarm.

DSC_18.jpg
Almost ready to test out on the backyard.

DSC_19.jpg
I use a Hitec Optic Sport 6ch for this quad, i usually fly in Acro so it will not require so much channels.

DSC_20.jpg
Ready to test. Check out the video on youtube.

DSC_21.jpg
Lets fold it... the back booms folds pretty tight.

DSC_22.jpg
and next the front booms and the antenna.
It fits in a small bag like a backpack so its really easy to bring

DSC_23.jpg
I use rubber from an old cd-rom to make the dampers for the camera, it has great capabilities to absorb vibrations.

DSC_24.jpg
Fitted the camera mount with the same velcro on the plate as i used before.

DSC_25.jpg
it works excellent.

DSC_26.jpg
Ready for new adventures.

I hope you liked this little preview of my new foldable quad.

Have a glorious day.

Black Forest Copters - Växjö Sweden

Here are the drawings i promised earlier in the thread... (all plans are A3-format)

This is the drawings for the booms (I used 12mm aspen tree)
http://www.awadis.se/booms.pdf

This is the bottom plate (i used 3 mm lauan plywood)
http://www.awadis.se/bottomplate.pdf

This is the top plate (i used 3 mm lauan plywood)
http://www.awadis.se/topplate.pdf

If you print it on the "right" paper you should be able to just cut it out and put it on the wood you intend to use.

Hope you like it as much as i do.

Last edited:

sirtoby666

helli freak
I'm using a Crius aiop v2 for the moment, it's the same as MULTIWII AND MEGAPIRATE AIO FLIGHT CONTROLLER W/FTDI (ATMEGA 2560) V2.0
From Hobbyking

sirtoby666

helli freak
Thanks! It's always nice to know. If there's anyone that like to build one I could post the drawings for it.

It took me about 4 hours in total to build it so it's a really fast build.

Liemavick

Mentor
Welcome to the forum Sirtoby. That sir is one fine build, first time Ive seen a 4way ESC which is pretty cool. I guess the downside would be when it checks out your replacing it instead of a single ESC. What was the build cost if you dont mind me asking?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Thanks! It's always nice to know. If there's anyone that like to build one I could post the drawings for it.

It took me about 4 hours in total to build it so it's a really fast build.

When you're ready to do that. Post an article on the main site. It's certainly good enough.

sirtoby666

helli freak
Welcome to the forum Sirtoby. That sir is one fine build, first time Ive seen a 4way ESC which is pretty cool. I guess the downside would be when it checks out your replacing it instead of a single ESC. What was the build cost if you dont mind me asking?

Yes the downside is that you can't replace one but it's pretty cheap anyway. About 30usd. The quad costs about 165usd without receiver and gopro of course. But you can build it much cheaper if you want.

Liemavick

Mentor
Sirtoby, Any idea if you can run just 3 motors off the quad ESC? I like the idea and clean look of it, but Im going to be building a Tricopter in the near future. I looked into their website and couldnt find any info other then it listed it for quads.

Liemavick

Mentor
You are correct sir there are many nice people on this forum. Im willing to bet Flying Monkey will be able to direct you on the ins and outs of publishing your plans.

I just started on this forum and i don't know how to do that, but here are many nice people here that maybe can help me. Thanks again!

sirtoby666

helli freak
Sirtoby, Any idea if you can run just 3 motors off the quad ESC? I like the idea and clean look of it, but Im going to be building a Tricopter in the near future. I looked into their website and couldnt find any info other then it listed it for quads.

It works excellent just with 3, I have used it on one of my tricopters. It's like you have 4 esc:s but only use 3. If you want you can heat up your solder iron and remove the spare cables for a cleaner look.

A thing to bare in mind with the quattro esc is that its usually in the middle of the quadcopter by the controller board, and if you use the compass on the controller board it can have some effect on it. (in acro and alt.holt that does not use the compass its unaffected by the esc)
If you gonna use one you have to put it further away from the controller board

Last edited:

Thinc2

How do you keep the arms in place when they are extended - it seems there is just one screw through the arm itself?

sirtoby666

helli freak
It's just tighten hard. The stop bolts Holds it in place. If you crash you don't break the booms they just tilt back a little bit, then you just put them back and fly again. Easy and reliable.

sirtoby666

helli freak
Model: N2830/11
Kv(Rpm/V): 1000
Resistance (MΩ): 104
Idle current: 0.6A
Wire winds: 11
Power: 270W

Its over dimensioned cheap (48$ incl. shipping for 4 motors) chinese motors but they are incredible powerful and runs really well.

Anthemius

thank you SirToby :)

i would like to build also a quadcopter..the motor you are used seems to be very ok.. and also not so expansive.. what kind of ESC goes inside ?

sirtoby666

helli freak
Hi Anthemius
You can see it in the beginning of the thread, its a Hobbywing Brushless 20A Skywalker Quattro Quadcopter ESC , you can buy it on Ebay for about 34$ incl shipping.

There are a 25A version if you want a bigger one... but there are much cheaper stuff if you are on a tighter budget.

Its better to start cheap and get the expensive stuff when you become a really good pilot, (maybe you already are :D)

//Sirtoby