A Newcommers Maiden

LaGÅm

Hi!

This is my first post on this forum so feel free to tell me if i am doing annything wrong.
Ok, let's start with some context. Last christmas i decided to try the Rc hobby. I looked around and found flite test.
I watched a bunch of videos and the entire beginner seris. I decided that a scratch build would be the most suitable
as i enjoy crafting alot. I got all of the neccecary components, most of which had to be orderd from out of town as I live in a pretty small town in sothern Sweden. i got all of the parts and decided on the Tiny Trainer as my first build.

The building proces was fun and i got it ready in about a week. I set up my radio (radiolink AT9) and everythimg else.
Than i just waited for the right weather. After a two weeks the day came and me and my brother walked down to a fotball field to maiden my plane. My brother assisted my with the launch and it flew 5 meters into the ground. No harm just a broken prop. I changhe the propeller and launch again. This time it flys for 10 meters and into the ground. The nose is broken and we decide to go home and fix it. I think that the problem was that i dei not pull upp the elevator quickly enaugh.

The motor had detatched from the firewall so i make a new one and attatch the motor again. The next day we walk down to the same field but I decide to bring my actioncamera to let my brother film as he launches the plane.
The launch is good and it flys streight for a couple of metres untill I panic and pull down too hard on the stick wich makes the plate go 20 meters up and than fall nose down into the ground breaking the powerpod and ripping the antenna of my reciver.

I am currently working on fixing the plane and i have no plans on quitting because of some incidents. You can have a look at the video my brother filmed as good as he could down. Feel free to tell me what I am doing wrong or suggest some newcommer mistakes that i might have made.

Have a Nice Day!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
A great start!! And welcome to the forums!

I think you already recognized what cause the crash - pulling up too hard on the elevator causing a stall. So the solution is easy - small movements on the controls - especially when flying close to the ground :)

I'm not familiar with the radio you're using, but it might be able to support dual rates so you can have the radio help you out by limiting the amount of control surface movement.

But I think you're exactly on the right path! I learned on the Tiny Trainer just two years ago and had many many crashes along the way too - very normal, and can be a lot of fun fixing it too! :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow nice description and post of your video. I would like to know your name. I'm not sure how to pronounce your forum name.

I'm glad your not letting some crashes discourage you. They happen to all of us.

I agree with rockyboy's advice and am a big fan of dual rates, especially for beginners.

Keep us posted as you progress.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim