A Place For Random Ideas and Quick Sketches

Vimana89

Legendary member
Have an idea pop into your head on inspiration, or had it rattling around in the back for a while? Do a couple quick rough sketches perhaps, but might not be building it any time soon and want to share without starting a full dedicated build thread? This is the place to share and discuss those random ideas and quick sketches. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a specific plane design or anything that pertains to one specific design. Building methods and techniques, ideas that relate to construction in general, building techniques, control setups, motor placement, aerodynamics, modifications to existing designs, airfoil styles and techniques, etc. are all welcome.

To avoid clutter and derailment of the thread, a pic and/or description of your design idea, construction technique, or whatever it is you have to share, and discuss it, ask and answer questions about it, trade information, etc., but do not let it ramp up into a full build thread worth of updates and information and questions on your design, or a drawn out debate on the merits of a certain design or aerodynamics philosophy.

Feel free to provide links to any full threads relating to designs or ideas posted here, and I will keep a log of them here on this first post.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll start with the "V-Raider". Since I had my poll thread I've been tossing around some ideas for a forward swept design, some EDF, some prop driven, some tailed, some tailless, etc. I decided when I take my first venture into FSW I'd probably do a simple single engine prop design. Not a lot of prop driven FSW historical or full scale designs to choose from(a couple but not much). I tossed around the idea of a funky pusher jet like my RET deltas, but decided to make my own design influenced instead by WW2 era fighters and bombers. This is more a fighter-bomber or early multi-roll attack aircraft looking style. It has a low mounted, KFM 3 wing and a twin tail. It would be a yank and bank AET.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

whackflyer

Master member
I'll start with the "V-Raider". Since I had my poll thread I've been tossing around some ideas for a forward swept design, some EDF, some prop driven, some tailed, some tailless, etc. I decided when I take my first venture into FSW I'd probably do a simple single engine prop design. Not a lot of prop driven FSW historical or full scale designs to choose from(a couple but not much). I tossed around the idea of a funky pusher jet like my RET deltas, but decided to make my own design influenced instead by WW2 era fighters and bombers. This is more a fighter-bomber or early multi-roll attack aircraft looking style. It has a low mounted, KFM 3 wing and a twin tail. It would be a yank and bank AET.
Hmmm... some X-29 wings, make up your own tail and throw on a tiny trainer fuse without the tail on it....? (Possibly scaled up). That sounds fun...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Hmmm... some X-29 wings, make up your own tail and throw on a tiny trainer fuse without the tail on it....? (Possibly scaled up). That sounds fun...
Should be. It's a work in progress, will probably go for a more warbird look to the front of the fuselage. The pic isn't scale or proper dimensions. The tail is based off a basic twin tail from WW2 era bombers and kind of like the Bloody Wonder. It looks cool, and since I'm running AET and no rudder, easier to make without splitting the elevator in two.

whackflyer

Master member
Should be. It's a work in progress, will probably go for a more warbird look to the front of the fuselage. The pic isn't scale or proper dimensions. The tail is based off a basic twin tail from WW2 era bombers and kind of like the Bloody Wonder. It looks cool, and since I'm running AET and no rudder, easier to make without splitting the elevator in two.
I hear ya, I’ll be watching!

Vimana89

Legendary member

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm going to be adding a couple different takes on a concept I stumbled on that nobody seems to be messing with; reverse deltas.Not FSW, full on reverse deltas. I've read a few arcane but consise research reports and abstracts about the idea that suggest they would perform pretty well. They generate vortex lift in a reverse fashion to a normal delta. A normal delta splits the streams like a wedge into two vortical wakes while a reverse delta combines the vortices into a single tail/wake. Studies suggest anhedrals increase this effect but decrease aerodynamics/handling a bit(guessing increased drag and more roll instability/sensitivity). This suggests to me that a wing of fairly low aspect and high sweep with mild anhedral wingtips would be most effective, using V-tail elevons to maximize the taper and uncut surface area of the wing and eliminate the need for a tail plane or large rear elevator, or any sort of ailerons or elevons that cut into the wing.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Nice pics. Not sure this one will be too active but figured I'd give it a try. A lot of people have a lot of ongoing projects but still get a fresh idea every now and then that they won't get around to for a bit.
Trouble with threads like this is that they can degenerate into threads either pushing a single design philosophy or into a build thread that fades away when the chosen design doesn't work as expected.

There are many brilliant ideas that will go forever unpublished along with a great number of what turn out to be bad ideas in the long run!

In addition try to consider that ideas might not be for a full aircraft design but rather a quicker, stronger, lighter method of building something or a different solution to particular problem.

Example: A conventional plane, (forward straight wing and rearward standard tail of separate elevator and Rudder), which is a single tail boom pusher WITHOUT the need to up/down thrust to perform properly. Actually a simple and easily done RETRO fit to most designs and can be extremely attractive as a trainer and yet there is no one currently flying or building one!

HOW? Simply fit 2 separate motors on a boom that fits across the fuselage behind the wing. Being in line with the CG the motors could have zero thrust angles and even be used on a "Y" harness and yet be able to be setup for differential thrust for a little advanced fun. Sure the nose would need to either be extended a little or hold a larger battery than usual but the breaking of props and bent motor shafts would almost be a thing of the past. A tricycle landing gear would complete the trainer!

Just one idea of many!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Trouble with threads like this is that they can degenerate into threads either pushing a single design philosophy or into a build thread that fades away when the chosen design doesn't work as expected.

There are many brilliant ideas that will go forever unpublished along with a great number of what turn out to be bad ideas in the long run!

In addition try to consider that ideas might not be for a full aircraft design but rather a quicker, stronger, lighter method of building something or a different solution to particular problem.

Example: A conventional plane, (forward straight wing and rearward standard tail of separate elevator and Rudder), which is a single tail boom pusher WITHOUT the need to up/down thrust to perform properly. Actually a simple and easily done RETRO fit to most designs and can be extremely attractive as a trainer and yet there is no one currently flying or building one!

HOW? Simply fit 2 separate motors on a boom that fits across the fuselage behind the wing. Being in line with the CG the motors could have zero thrust angles and even be used on a "Y" harness and yet be able to be setup for differential thrust for a little advanced fun. Sure the nose would need to either be extended a little or hold a larger battery than usual but the breaking of props and bent motor shafts would almost be a thing of the past. A tricycle landing gear would complete the trainer!

Just one idea of many!

Have fun!
This is a great idea that could be fitted to quite a few different types of planes and be really fun! Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll update my first post when I get a chance, to encourage people to share ideas and techniques and methods like this that don't necessarily pertain to one single design.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
This is a great idea that could be fitted to quite a few different types of planes and be really fun! Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll update my first post when I get a chance, to encourage people to share ideas and techniques and methods like this that don't necessarily pertain to one single design.
You could edit the first post to provide a table with links to experimental builds derived from ideas posted in this thread. That way any builds or the like could be daughter threads of this ideas thread. That way you could keep this as a pure ideas thread and not fill it with various builds!

Just a thought!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
You could edit the first post to provide a table with links to experimental builds derived from ideas posted in this thread. That way any builds or the like could be daughter threads of this ideas thread. That way you could keep this as a pure ideas thread and not fill it with various builds!

Just a thought!

Have fun!
I agree with this. :)

tyoho

Here's a Idea I had many years ago for a prop in slot flying US Airforce logo.
I never got around to building one but it seams like the kind of thing you might be looking for.
I'm sure someone can make it fly and I'm also sure that it will never fly great.

Attachments

• logoplane -2.pdf
    186.7 KB · Views: 0

IcedStorm777

So my friend and I both want to be either pilots or Aerospace engineers for the Air Force (BTW if you have any tips in getting into USAFA please PLEASE let me know) and we stayed up all night designing this twin EDF, it is called the X-24 Ghosthawk, i new more about aerospace and he is a better drawer so he drew the plans and i told him what to draw, after some testing in a Simulator It flew VERY well with the only fallback being a touchy pitch as the Elevator is HUGE.

Hear she is:

209991_d6d386347d21a96232c862564a487e45.jpg