A place to post plans and planes

Wildthing

Legendary member
thank you much. I pushed all day to get it done but when I went to go out it was crazy windy. Have to try again tomorrow.

Save it for a calm day. Once you do get it dialed in then go play in the wind. It actually handles it pretty good. The AN-2 was a very fat bi-plane because I think it carried up to 18 people, so no fuel mileage so bigger power and if you have some larger batteries use them. It will carry almost anything you throw at it with ease.

sundown57

Legendary member

sundown57

Legendary member
oh sorry. I thought we were talking about the slow flier. no. I have not had a chance to take it out yet. Each time I tried it was either too windy. raining . or the kids had the field. I'm hoping to this weekend.

sundown57

Legendary member
Curious, have you had a chance to take it out for the maiden?
ok so finally got to maiden it. When I made the power pod I brought it all the way back to the brace just in front of the wing.It seems that was a bit too much. I had the battery under the wing as far forward as I could but it was still super tail heavy. On the next one I will need to find a way to make a shorter pod so I can move the battery further forward.

Wildthing

Legendary member
ok so finally got to maiden it. When I made the power pod I brought it all the way back to the brace just in front of the wing.It seems that was a bit too much. I had the battery under the wing as far forward as I could but it was still super tail heavy. On the next one I will need to find a way to make a shorter pod so I can move the battery further forward.

Ouch, looked really tail heavy, any damage? Mine is balanced right on the spar tabs on the upper wing. My 2200 3S battery is about half way forward of the upper wing .

sundown57

Legendary member
not really all that much damage but repairing isn't the answer. Because of the way I made it I have no way to cut the braces, move the power pod and make room for the battery to slide forward. but now that I know my mistake I will make another one and change the design a bit. Your right on about where the battery needs to be, about half way ahead of the leading edge of the wing. mine right now is behind the CG.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
not really all that much damage but repairing isn't the answer. Because of the way I made it I have no way to cut the braces, move the power pod and make room for the battery to slide forward. but now that I know my mistake I will make another one and change the design a bit. Your right on about where the battery needs to be, about half way ahead of the leading edge of the wing. mine right now is behind the LE.

If it isn't that bad to repair you could throw some lead into the nose or even in the pod and get it to balance that way. It will easily carry extra weight and then if you like it then build a new one.

sundown57

Legendary member
If it isn't that bad to repair you could throw some lead into the nose or even in the pod and get it to balance that way. It will easily carry extra weight and then if you like it then build a new one.
Yeah. I'm going to look at it closer and see if I can move the pod forward and maybe go with the 850 battery and see if it will fit in where I have the pod now. I hate adding weight if I can find a way to fix it the right way.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yeah. I'm going to look at it closer and see if I can move the pod forward and maybe go with the 850 battery and see if it will fit in where I have the pod now. I hate adding weight if I can find a way to fix it the right way.
What size of battery did you have in it?

sundown57

Legendary member
this is the kind of stuff I was talking about when I started this thread. I have been on ft now almost a year. Just found this guy the other day @hotwax , He has made some AMAZING planes. I Just finished this one and it looks great. We as a group need to find some way to get all these great planes from all members into one place for everyone to enjoy.

Here is the link to his FT thread. Check it out.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hotwax-plan-index.18703/

Attachments

• IMG_4245.JPG
    IMG_4245.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4247.JPG
    IMG_4247.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
this is the kind of stuff I was talking about when I started this thread. I have been on ft now almost a year. Just found this guy the other day @hotwax , He has made some AMAZING planes. I Just finished this one and it looks great. We as a group need to find some way to get all these great planes from all members into one place for everyone to enjoy.

Here is the link to his FT thread. Check it out.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/hotwax-plan-index.18703/
Wow! @hotwax, those are some beautiful designs! Your build pictures go above and beyond. How come I never knew those designs existed? How did I miss out on building those?

I've got a lot on my plate, but the FB Kite? How cool is that plane?! That is ON my build list!

How many other great designs are we missing out on? Please if anyone knows of some, please post them on this thread. I'm getting the feeling that there are a lot of great planes that just got lost to time and buried and in the forum, somewhere.

@sundown57 you seriously nailed it with this thread! Let's collect all the designs we can, right here. It's obvious not everything makes it to the Resource tab. These planes deserve the light of day. :)