Help! A plea for honesty.....

Turbojoe

Elite member
I'm only posting this here on FliteTest as it's the only R/C forum that I feel is populated by mostly honest modelers.

For the last few years I've been against the wall trying to figure out what to do with most of my built airplanes as I've simply run out of room. Now that we're moving soon the problem has become critical. I NEED to eliminate several built balsa parkflyer airframes. Obviously I would love to sell them but it would be easier to just GIVE them to people starting out or struggling to stay in the hobby. As I've seen and been involved in so many times on R/C Groups there are those that will try to come off as needy then after they receive what you sent them for free it's up on ebay as soon as they get it!! ARGH!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: .

Because I use mostly high dollar name brand electronics I of course intend to strip those items from the planes so they will be airframes only.

Here's the deal. The ONLY way I'll consider a free recipient is through a recommendation from a FliteTest member of at least one year. I live in Mesa, Arizona (for now) and local pickup will be fine. Want it shipped? You pay the shipping. With a truly compelling member recommendation I could be persuaded to provide a plane PNP or maybe even RTF!

If you have a friend living on fixed income or is a disabled vet that is trying to fly with a crappy bARF and needs a plane let me know. A kid that is truly deserving? Let me know. I have a few 72mhz TX's, RX's and crystals too if they need absolutely everything. No free Spektrum stuff unfortunately.

It truly sucks that you just can't trust anyone anymore. That's why I'm requiring a member recommendation BEFORE I give anything away. I hope I can help someone AND myself at the same time.

Post to the thread, P.M. or e-mail me directly about these free planes without a recommendation from an established member and it will be ignored and immediately deleted!

Joe

Seahunter

You might also try listing under our threads for sale or wanted . Many of our newbies read these postings and there is a thread there to list free items and you could put an estimated shipping cost there along with the required qualifications. I like jtrops post try that first

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It is a pity that I live half a world away as I do exactly what you are talking about already but for a different reason. My reason is that I make and sell NEW planes and designs locally, so second hand or repaired models are gifted away to those who can use them best.

There are a few struggling modelers on the forum but mast would be hard pressed to afford the freight and might find fitting out a larger or expensive model as a step too far. But then again I do not really know their personal status it is only based upon their approaches to the projects they undertake.

Local clubs would be the best place to find needy flyers normally.

I wish you well with your noble gesture and applaud your efforts(y)

Have fun!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Local clubs are out. If you can afford their ridiculous fees then you'd better be able to afford your planes. Elitist attitudes as well. I've had a little contact with the clubs down in the new area and they seem great but I don't want to transport the planes. They will only get destroyed in the process.

I'm all for giving to education. I'll have to start looking at the local schools to see if any have flying clubs. I'm almost certain there are none or I'd have seen them in the last 16 years I've been here. I guess it can't hurt to check the school websites to see if any do exist and I just haven't seen them flying anywhere. Here within Mesa city limits it's illegal to fly R/C. I'll have to check outlying cities. Wasn't wanting to work this hard to give things away but may be what it takes in the end.

Joe

jtrops

If it's not too much work you could reach out to the AMA. Our school club is an AMA charter, and they could put you in touch with a school if there is one. Fyi: the AMA school charter is free, and youth memberships are also free. I only mention this because if it cost anything for the students we probably wouldn't have nearly the membership we do. I don't know the law in Mesa, but it's also illegal to fly in Longmont "in any public area." The public school that I work at owns the land, and as such has granted permission to use the athletic fields as "air fields." This is allowed for us, and it may be in Mesa as well.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I don't know the details, but Flite Test is working with schools as a STEM program, teaching kids about flight. Maybe somebody with a connection at Flite Test HQ could find out if there are any STEM programs near Mesa that would gladly take the donation.

Good luck with thinning out the hangar!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Oh boy, I may have really stepped in it this time! I obviously didn't think clearly before saying I could ship and was hoping for local giveaways. One or two built small planes I can maybe pack up. Otherwise I would have to buy materials to pack them. I just retired. No income while I wait for Social Security to kick in. My 401K was a victim of 2008 and I never recovered from that financial ruin. :cry: Thank GOD for my daughter moving in with me!

Thanks for the suggestions of AMA and FliteTest. I just emailed AMA for help. (thanks jtrops!) Now to scour FliteTest to find the right contact for something like this. (thanks Joker!)

For now aside from the possible shipping requests I've already received shipping is out until I hear from AMA and FliteTest for local education related donations.

Joe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey mate.. talk to Stefan. They work with a school that has a club called Mesa something or other. They designed the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie kit that FT sells. They are stem and I am sure they would welcome a donation or two.

Brett_N

Joe - I'd be way more than willing to take a frame or two off your hands. And I live right around the corner from you in Tempe. I can always make more room in the garage ;-)

I can check with our STEM guy here at the office (Microchip) as well.

Also if you are looking to sell, pack up the car and go to Thude Park (corner of Chandler Blvd and the 101, behind Lowes) Saturday or Sunday mornings, and weekdays around 5:30 or 6. That's our local non-club field setup by Chandler. There's always buying / selling / swapping opportunities.

Thude Park Address
2825 W Galveston St, Chandler, AZ 85224

The plane field is the North West corner

Brett_N

Hey mate.. talk to Stefan. They work with a school that has a club called Mesa something or other. They designed the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie kit that FT sells. They are stem and I am sure they would welcome a donation or two.

Different Mesa - that one is in Mesa Colorado

Brett_N

Oh - and Hobby Action (corner or Rural and Guadalupe in Tempe) will sell on consignment.

Another easy option is look for Thude Park Flyers on Facebook. That's the local club page for those of us that fly in Chandler. Post pics if you can. Those guys are always looking for new planes too, and it's local for you.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Turbo - I didn't know Mesa was so restrictive. My niece lives out in Chandler, and LITERALLY, on the other side of the freeway (take a pedestrian footbridge over and you're there) is Thude Park, with RC flying...and I thought Mesa and Chandler were right next to each other? (Sorry if I'm wrong, last time I was out there was about 10 years ago with some friends of mine; we were doing test n' tune street legal drag racing at Firebird Raceway, so my geography might be a bit mucked up in my head).

If I had some way of getting out there to pick them up, I'd do it and give them away to kids at the San Diego Maker Faire. I'm going to be doing that with at least one Balsa trainer I've got (it's just too big for my apartment, and if someone else wants to build it up and learn to fly with it, it's theirs!).

All in all, though, I'd probably go with Brett_N; sounds like he might be your best bet for getting them out into the right hands. :)

Turbojoe

Elite member
Brett,

Yeah, I'm not looking to add to anyone's established inventory. Besides, I've already online and locally given away about all that I was willing to part with. Now it's down to the ones that have to be pried from my cold dead hands or bring a reasonable price......;)

Thude Park. Yep, we used to just call it the Chandler Bowl in the old days. I started flying there when I first moved here in 2002 so I'm one of the originals. We were all still on 72mhz at the time as well. Some moron would inevitably show up at the east end of the bowl far away from us and turn on their TX only to shoot down some poor slob doing the maiden on his brand new build. I was a victim once as well. If I could have caught him my knuckles would STILL be bleeding! It was the only problem I ever had with 72mhz in 30 years at that point! I haven't been there since the new runway configuration etc. several years back. It's really quite a drive for me from the far east side of Mesa so kinda out of the question now.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
What about taking the rest of them over to the flying park by Rio Salado?

Pretty close to the same distance. I'm only a few blocks west of Power Road. I used to work at Tempe ASU (and later at Mesa Polytechnic) and hated the drive to Tempe campus.

I have an almost manageable hanger right now. I haven't counted lately but probably only 25 or so left and I plan to keep them. That doesn't count the two that I'm building right now though. ;) Still have 14 NIB Mountain Models kits sealed in a military Pelican foot locker plus 10 or so other kits. The kits are easy to move. The built ones will be hard to avoid damage. May have to rent one U-Haul just for airplane transport. Luckily will have a huge garage at the new house in Florence.

Joe

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
This reminds me that I need to get off my backside and finish that plane Rockyboy gave me (I didn't quit Rockyboy, I promise). Got busy and the hobbies fell to the wayside. but not for long, once I get my routine set up again, expect progress.