A question about Josh Bixler

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
How many evil spinning propellers have kissed Josh's fingers?

You can really notice those in HD :D

Josh Bixler

How many evil spinning propellers have kissed Josh's fingers?

You can really notice those in HD :D

My hands certainly have battle damage on them! Only one scar from a prop strike is still visible. I have had 3 in total. A Cox 049, k&B .65, and a supertigre .60. I hope I got the sizes right. :) Most of the nasty is from working on cars in my college years. The grime is from my day job. :)

I do have a sad story to share about a prop strike that happened recently. A dear friend had a pusher style electric canard he wanted test flown at my dads flying field. After a brief check he was ready to launch for me. I noticed the pacement of his hands were too close to the prop for my comfort and told him about my concerns. He assured me that he used this technique before with no bad results and not to worry. I ignored my gut feeling and after a run-up, he launched the plane right through his right hand. The prop sliced about ten deep gashes from his wrist to his middle finger. We had a first aid kit and patched him up. He insists that it was not my fault but I still feel horrible about it. The lesson I learned is if you ever sense that someone may be at risk of a prop strike when hand launching, speak up! It is better to insult someone's pride then to have a prop assault someone's hand.

My friend was out the following tuesday flying with no stiches. He is an oldtimer and used red chilli poweder to stop the bleeding and speed healing. Talk about home remedies!

JB

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Everyone I know has a prop strike story or close call story. I got chewed up good by an electric super cub. Good stories to share, keep people thinking about this very hazardous part of our hobby.

Stuhomer71

Dave Powers

Hey there Josh what are your views on Dave Powers and his comments on your plane in his recent video?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
HA, I saw that one yesterday and found it humorous that DP mentioned the Bixler plane. You know...since the "let's get DP on FliteTest" debacle. lol

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
My hands certainly have battle damage on them! Only one scar from a prop strike is still visible. I have had 3 in total. A Cox 049, k&B .65, and a supertigre .60. I hope I got the sizes right. :) Most of the nasty is from working on cars in my college years. The grime is from my day job. :)

I do have a sad story to share about a prop strike that happened recently. A dear friend had a pusher style electric canard he wanted test flown at my dads flying field. After a brief check he was ready to launch for me. I noticed the pacement of his hands were too close to the prop for my comfort and told him about my concerns. He assured me that he used this technique before with no bad results and not to worry. I ignored my gut feeling and after a run-up, he launched the plane right through his right hand. The prop sliced about ten deep gashes from his wrist to his middle finger. We had a first aid kit and patched him up. He insists that it was not my fault but I still feel horrible about it. The lesson I learned is if you ever sense that someone may be at risk of a prop strike when hand launching, speak up! It is better to insult someone's pride then to have a prop assault someone's hand.

My friend was out the following tuesday flying with no stiches. He is an oldtimer and used red chilli poweder to stop the bleeding and speed healing. Talk about home remedies!

JB

That's unlucky. On my F15 (before it crashed:() I had an aluminium skid to help it slow when landing but also protect peoples hands from the prop. I only had the skid hit someones hand once (otherwise it would have been the prop) and the plane veered violently towards the ground but managed to pull up before going in. No damage to the launchers hand either :p

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
. We had a first aid kit and patched him up.
JB

Ya i also got 1 it consists of CA glue(to glue the skin together) ,CA Applicator ,Fiber glass(bandage),Epoxy,Foam(to soak the blood) and a spare prop to even out the fingers if 1 gets chopped off, so everything is to scale.

dezertdog

He is an oldtimer and used red chilli poweder to stop the bleeding and speed healing. Talk about home remedies!

JB

I've heard of this and I had to dig in and read up to make sure it was true, but capsaicin is indeed an herbal styptic. Basically makes tissue contract to stop bleeding, although it doesn't do much for clotting.

As a side note, every first aid kid should have "QuikClot". It's standard issue in every field med kit that our soldiers carry, amazing stuff.

Last edited:

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
I've heard of this and I had to dig in and read up to make sure it was true, but capsaicin is indeed an herbal styptic. Basically makes tissue contract to stop bleeding, although it doesn't do much for clotting.

As a side note, every first aid kid should have "QuikClot". It's standard issue in every field med kit that our soldiers carry, amazing stuff.

You have to be careful with quikclot. It gives of an exothermic reaction when activated and can cause more damage from burns. It also can prevent proper healing. it is meant for life and death only.

Other than arterial bleeding and amputation even large wounds generally will stop bleeding from a simple compress.

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
Hmmmm.... I sensed a bit of hostility in the comment.

I hope you don't mean my quote. I'm not trying to be hostile. I just wanted to caution people about quickclot.

It's a great product for what it's intended for; stopping life threatening bleed out. Unfortunately it's side effect is that it gives off enough heat to cause second degree burns. It can cause more damage than help in certain situations. Again I would stress that pressure from a compress is a better choice in a lot of situations.

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
Sounds like he may do mechanic type work.

Im on a toss up on "worst injury". Its either the time I sliced my left thumb from knuckle to knuckle with a utinlity knife. Was opening p a plastic container for the last job at work. Rushing, I looked away as I was cutting it open, was holding it like afootball against my chest, one quick motion, opened the plasic box, blade jumped out and got my thumb. 7 stitches, 2 of them needed to close the vien I got inside. Never hurt :D

The other is after finding out I needed wrist surgery. Went in for orthoscopic surgery, where they just look around to see the issue (X-ray, MRI couldnt show the soft tissue damage) with a chance of correction, to "we are going to fix your wrist no matter what". They even had me initial the paper work to consent the new dissition as I was on the bed in the patient gown waiting to go into surgery. Turned out I completly ripped a ligament from the bone, and started tearing the cartledge underneath.

1.5 years later im beter, but still hurts from over use.