• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

A question on action cams

Arcfyre

So I'm looking to replace my $24 keychain camera for in flight video. It looks like there are several nice options available from GoPro, Mobius, Firefly, and of course some knockoff/unknown brands.

Many of them say that the can record 4K @ 24FPS, 1080p @60 FPS, and 720p @120FPS. My question is this: does the frames per second affect the visibility of propeller blur when making a video? If at all possible I would like to limit the distortion effect when filming with the prop in view.

FDS

Ideally you want to mount the camera where it doesn’t see the prop. Higher frame rate will have more “flicker” in the prop if it’s in shot.
I use a $8 SQ11 cube. It shoots best in 720/30 but is really easy to mount anywhere. Many of the cheaper cams are not truly 4K, 1080/60 is better for most basic stuff, smaller file sizes and just as good quality on smaller screens.

Merv

My question is this: does the frames per second affect the visibility of propeller blur when making a video?
I can’t say for sure but I doubt the frame rate would make much difference. The prop is spinning 10k to 15k rpm, which makes 20k to 30k flickers per second. Not even close to the frame rates considered.

evranch

The propeller changes speed so often during flight, that no one particular framerate would have any advantage if you were trying to freeze it or minimize its effect. Watch some videos filmed through the prop, and you'll see the progression through various propeller patterns as the pilot changes the throttle setting.

Cameras have a frame rate, 60fps is 60 frame a second. The change you see is the speed change of the prop. If the prop spun exactly 60 times a second you would see it stationary. I usually see 5 to 6 blurry props, so prop is spinning around 350 times a second.