Action cameras

Arcfyre

Elite member
So I'm looking to replace my $24 keychain camera for in flight video. It looks like there are several nice options available from GoPro, Mobius, Firefly, and of course some knockoff/unknown brands.

I'm looking at a Runcam 2 vs. a Mobius. Anyone have any experience with either one or feel like making a recommendation?

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Ideally you want to mount the camera where it doesn’t see the prop. Higher frame rate will have more “flicker” in the prop if it’s in shot.
I use a $8 SQ11 cube. It shoots best in 720/30 but is really easy to mount anywhere. Many of the cheaper cams are not truly 4K, 1080/60 is better for most basic stuff, smaller file sizes and just as good quality on smaller screens.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
My question is this: does the frames per second affect the visibility of propeller blur when making a video?
I can’t say for sure but I doubt the frame rate would make much difference. The prop is spinning 10k to 15k rpm, which makes 20k to 30k flickers per second. Not even close to the frame rates considered.

evranch

The propeller changes speed so often during flight, that no one particular framerate would have any advantage if you were trying to freeze it or minimize its effect. Watch some videos filmed through the prop, and you'll see the progression through various propeller patterns as the pilot changes the throttle setting.

fastfred529

Cameras have a frame rate, 60fps is 60 frame a second. The change you see is the speed change of the prop. If the prop spun exactly 60 times a second you would see it stationary. I usually see 5 to 6 blurry props, so prop is spinning around 350 times a second.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Bumping this thread, as I am still in the market for a small camera. Needs to be light so that an arrow or something similarly small can carry it. Also needs to be durable as I plan on using it to record combat. Looking for recommendations.

Fidget

I had a Runcam 2 & loved it. But had bad luck using it as my fpv camera (went to logo screen) & after about 2 years it wouldn't turn on. And audio from it is poor.

I bought 3 of the SQ12 (or whatever the current version is) last year, to get multiple angles for cheap. If you want to relive memories, they're fine. If you want to make great "content" then a Gopro is better.

I bought one of the $50 gopro looking ones last year but took it back right away. Thought the image quality was poor.

Andrew Newton has reviewed several of the $150 range cameras on his YouTube channel. I looked at those for a while, but while $150 is only half of $300, it's still a lot of money.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I had a Runcam 2 & loved it. But had bad luck using it as my fpv camera (went to logo screen) & after about 2 years it wouldn't turn on. And audio from it is poor.

I bought 3 of the SQ12 (or whatever the current version is) last year, to get multiple angles for cheap. If you want to relive memories, they're fine. If you want to make great "content" then a Gopro is better.

I bought one of the $50 gopro looking ones last year but took it back right away. Thought the image quality was poor.

Andrew Newton has reviewed several of the $150 range cameras on his YouTube channel. I looked at those for a while, but while $150 is only half of $300, it's still a lot of money.

Thank you for the detailed reply. As of right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Runcam 2. I don't fly FPV so that shouldn't be a problem. It's also at the right price point, as anything over $100 is hard for me to explain to the wife, lol.

Fidget

Thank you for the detailed reply. As of right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Runcam 2.

I really liked that the lens is right in the middle and it's low profile. To me it just makes sense as a design for what we're doing.
I had the silver one because I thought it looked better, but if it had ever ejected from my plane I would have immediately wished it were orange. I keep hoping the price will come down. It hasn't been the latest and greatest thing for several years, but the price has only changed about $5. Happy filming!

basslord1124

Master member
I have used this on planes a few times, but I've got a Polaroid Cube that does a good job. I have seen knockoffs on bangood too for pretty reasonable. It's got a durable rubber case it sits in. Not sure about the knockoffs, but my official one has a magnet base....I've taped washers on some things and the magnet stuck right to that pretty well. For combat, you would probably need to strap it down though. It's a good camera...I'd use it on bigger models though as it's probably on the heavier side compared to some. Here's a video with some of the footage from the Polaroid:

mayan

Legendary member
Can't say much about this, but will be looking to learn about action camera through this thread :).

Arcfyre

Elite member
Ok, so I pulled the trigger and bought a RunCam2. The first one had some sort of manufacturing defect and refused to take a charge unless the case was being squeezed while charging. I sent it back and got a replacement.

The replacement worked fine for a few flights, but for some reason now it freezes every time I try to record video. I turn it on, it starts to record, and then at some point during the recording the camera stops working and the only way I can get it working again is to remove the battery and reboot it.

For a camera that's targeted to RC users, I'm extremely unimpressed. I will be sending this one back as well and picking up a different brand of action camera.

Arcfyre

Elite member
In case anyone is still reading this, I am quite happy with the Mobius Maxi. It has a few features which set it apart from the RunCam2 at about the same price point, and more importantly, it works.

I like that it shoots 1080p at 60fps, and also has an option for 2.7k. Its a great size and has good image quality. Here is a sample video I recorded at 1080p/60

mayan

Legendary member
I was actually reading through it yesterday thanks for sharing that wonderful video. The quality of the Mobious Maxi looks really good.