A quick thank you

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Wow! Until recently I had only heard about multi-rotors in high tech magazines and such. It's pretty crazy to think that I'm currently trying to build one and also wanted to tell you about my progress! I just wanted to say thank you to FliteTest and especially David Whindistal for inspiring me to make a tricopter v2.5! I'm trying to get funding right now, but the plan is all layed out. I'm going with the basic desing, but using this board from rctimer because I have heard a lot about it! Jake and I have been scheming for about a month on the design and have decided that are basic goals were:
Stability
Durability
20 min flight time
can hold gopro with fpv gear
easy to fix
easy to upgrade

So, with those goals in line, we decided that a glorified tricopter v2.5 would work for us. The catch is, we are going to up the size by %150 and also make it so it can be upgraded to a y-6 copter any time. This is a non-profit thing because we love to work on anything that flies, and we are going to try to use it to find lost hikers as part of search and rescue. Check out the progress here if you would like: http://aerialadventures1.webs.com

Anyway, thanks for everyone who has helped me get started in this, I really think I've found my calling! :)
~Ben

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Stability
Durability
20 min flight time
can hold gopro with fpv gear
easy to fix
easy to upgrade
So, with those goals in line, we decided that a glorified tricopter v2.5 would work for us. The catch is, we are going to up the size by %150 and also make it so it can be upgraded to a y-6 copter any time.
~Ben

150% Y6 calls for aluminum booms - and maybe even a 4S battery pack. 20 minutes flight time is a bit on the hard side, though; especially with a Y6.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
well, we are starting out small and just doing the original scale until we can get our hands on some carbon fiber!
so your saying, stick with 3 and that will be the max flight time?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
well, we are starting out small and just doing the original scale until we can get our hands on some carbon fiber!
so your saying, stick with 3 and that will be the max flight time?

Exactly. Check my experience with a 2200mAh 3S:

On a plane it lasts roughly 25-30 minutes with moderate throttle.
On my tricopter it lasts 8-10 minutes.

I'm guessing a quad on that battery would last 7 minutes.
And a hexa (Y6 as well) only 5 minutes.

Now if you ask Eric Monroe (shadow72) he'll probably tell you to go with a standard hexacopter config if you want stability. More motors, more stability. On a Y6 the motors only work as 3 individual motors.