A Scratch Built Sailplane

AirHamer

It would be awesome if you guys could do a scratch built sailplane I'm sure a lot of guys here would love to see one.

crash bandicoot

Hey welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if you have seen it yet, but there is a plane called the FT Simple soar. They had a build off and came up with that design. It is a relatively simple build. And easy to fly. There is also a smaller trainer/glider coming soon. Or so I have heard.

AirHamer

I actually had not seen that plane even though i have been watching their videos almost nonstop thank you for telling me.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
There is also a smaller trainer/glider coming soon. Or so I have heard.

Indeed there is. I have a kit for one... :D

I'm also owner of the one and only balsa version. It, however, cannot be considered a trainer, but that's my fault (150 W power system on a 150 g airplane).

AirHamer

Indeed there is. I have a kit for one... :D

I'm also owner of the one and only balsa version. It, however, cannot be considered a trainer, but that's my fault (150 W power system on a 150 g airplane).

At least that problem is easily fixable, but I am not sure how you were able to build it out of balsa and have it weigh less than 1/2lb.

Last edited:

crash bandicoot

At least that problem is easily fixable, but I am not sure how you were able to build it out of balsa and have it weigh less than 1/2lb.

He is the balsa master, I'm guessing it's half paper and half balsa. I bet his Spruce Goose weights lest than a pound?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist

Balsa builds MUCH lighter than foamboard. That's part of the reason that the performance is so ballistic on this model.

For comparison of how light free flight models are, this bird weighs the same as my 52" Spruce Goose (also 150g fully loaded) but has just over half the wing area.