A segment on flying in the cold.

Copperbricks

Official crash tester
You could explain the effect that cold has on lipos, and discuss some methods for keeping the batteries (and hands) safe from the cold. And also maybe talk a little bit about skis and floats for snow. I'm hoping that you guys do a review of the durafly p-47 that you showed a teaser pic of in the Durafly vampire review.
thanks for your time, and making this great show!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I don't know if it will work. Where will the Flite Test guys find somewhere cold enough to do a show like that... :D

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Well I cannot help with what effect the cold has on lipos, but I can help with your cold hand worries... Turnigy has a Transmitter glove to help with your hands and the transmitter:
TXGlove.jpg

Here is the page at HK: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11738

$12.99 What a bargain!!!

(On backorder right now though):(

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I can tell you a thing or two about flying in cold. It's fun but in short bursts lol. I never bothered with a transmitter glove, but I make sure to keep the truck warm and batteries in it or in my pocket and the transmitter goes in the truck every so often. The batteries seem to last just fine, they produce enough heat to stay warm.

Haven't tried skis because I used to watch other guys with skis getting stuck all the time and flipping over or hitting the prop. I can tell you though, that floats are the most fun you can have with a plane in the snow. Flitetest I believe did a show on it in fact. Where skis will drop into every little hole, floats will scoot right across where you walk, other tracks or anything else in their way.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Haven't tried skis because I used to watch other guys with skis getting stuck all the time and flipping over or hitting the prop. I can tell you though, that floats are the most fun you can have with a plane in the snow. Flitetest I believe did a show on it in fact. Where skis will drop into every little hole, floats will scoot right across where you walk, other tracks or anything else in their way.
You cant compare small skis to big floats.
A good ski is much better on the snow. If the snow is a little icey then it will cut your floats so they will be useless on the water in the summer.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Well that depends on what you make your floats out of. I have yet to see a ski that even came close to floats on snow. I don't know what type of snow you have, maybe that works better for you. For me it was no contest. I wouldn't even have tried skis because I've seen them sink in and flip planes too many times. In my case, the ice did damage my floats and they are no longer usable for water so I spent another 35 bucks and bought another set for water and keep the others for snow. I'm really not comparing the two because I don't think they're even in the same league.