a swappable jet

airhawk

Crashing Ace
jets are a popular thing in modern aircraft history . but a swappable jet thats something that might not come to mind for some RC companies but for flitetest anything is possible. who here wants to join me on the project of presenting a swappable RC jet to FT;);););):D:D:D:D:D
blue_angels_fighter_jets.jpg

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
So what would the first step be? To design an EDF power pod?
Or do we start with a proven jet design and modify it to incorporate a power pod instead of the built-in EDF?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
C'mon...where's the sense of adventure? Let's go turbine! ...just don't forget the marshmallows!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes, I had forgotten our favorite Swede's escapades...
"I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. Smells like...David is at it again!"

It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it...I'll work on it.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I started playing around with EDF and after reading this thread, I think it would be possible to just make the current power pod bigger with an EDF in it, have all of the electronics mounted outside of it, and you could use that EDF pod on the FT Flyer, FT Delta, and FT Nutball. Might also work for the FT Cruzer, but I can't think of anything else it would work on. The pod has to be mounted on the bottom and not inside the plane since it would be bigger. Also the notches that hold the power pod in place need to be cut further apart. I actually built an EDF FT Flyer. It works, but it sucks. Both literally and figuratively.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
RCSF,

if you mount that on foam board, take video of all your test runs. Fires like that are always awesome to watch!

Johan

YES, I don't have to wait on Bruce to build me one now. (waiting for 4 or 5 years since he promised one).

Thurmond

If you like pulse jets, why not give it a go, check out this english guy (colinfurze)
with his tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ceYtR22Ww

Ok, he's a bit weird / load (ADHD), but builds kettles, BBQ's and motorcycles with his pulse jets... :)

EDIT: and he forgets the responsible "Don't try this at home part ...", might want to turn down the volume

Last edited: