A10 Style Giant F14 power plant

GaryGazza

Hiya,

I’m looking to build a giant F14 in the style of the A10 from FT, though around 6-7ft long, not 10! I’ve had a rummage around the internet for EDF power plants but in my ignorance I had no idea how expensive they are! I basically wanna know if this would work.........

Thanks for any advice
Harry Karmel

I have another project where I want to build a robust F14 about 6 foot long.

This is to go on a car roof! We are doing a charity rally as top gun, we’ll be in flightsuits and the car covered in logos and no step Etc.
Where can I get plans for this large F14. Thanks. It does not need to fly so I will
Make it from foam and support the core with wood perhaps to give it strength so it does not disintegrate on the highway!!

Ideas for plans and materials welcome!! Thank you

avpostter

That sounds great! Unfortunately I haven’t made any plans; I was interested if the concept would work before I committed to an entire project. What I was planning on was adapting existing f14 plans to my spec - if it’s just a model, that should probably be pretty simple as load bearing parts don’t necessarily have to be light or specifically placed within the airframe.
You could use wood for the core;that would work. I feel the wings would sag under their own weight if just room, so a plywood or aluminium spar would do it some good. For the canopy, watch the nnp39 build video and see how nerdnic makes his cockpit. I just used an old plastic wallet for my p39 but it has the same effect - it saves having to find a vacuum former, though if you’ve got one, that might be easier.
Let me know how your project goes though - sorry I couldn’t offer any plans!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Not sure if this will work for ducted props, but with EDFs you generally want to constrict the end of the nozzles to 85% of the prop area. This should give you a bit more top end speed and have minimal reductions in static thrust, as well as keeping the airflow in the tube semi laminar, which will give you better actual thrust.

GaryGazza

That sounds great! Unfortunately I haven’t made any plans; I was interested if the concept would work before I committed to an entire project. What I was planning on was adapting existing f14 plans to my spec - if it’s just a model, that should probably be pretty simple as load bearing parts don’t necessarily have to be light or specifically placed within the airframe.
You could use wood for the core;that would work. I feel the wings would sag under their own weight if just room, so a plywood or aluminium spar would do it some good. For the canopy, watch the nnp39 build video and see how nerdnic makes his cockpit. I just used an old plastic wallet for my p39 but it has the same effect - it saves having to find a vacuum former, though if you’ve got one, that might be easier.
Let me know how your project goes though - sorry I couldn’t offer any plans!

I am new to forum. Where do you go for plans?? Thank you !!!