Access to Explorer Boom servos

randyrls

Randy
I love the explorer as it is easy to fly and rugged. I don't like the location of the servos inside the boom and that they are not adjustable after the build is complete. My next one I may put servo linkage stoppers on the rudder and elevator control horns.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to make. Putting the servos on the outside of the boom could be done? But how to route the push rods.

Piotrsko

Master member
Depends on how flimsy your wires are and the set up. You can make wire guides out of coffee stirrer pieces and run them around corners or into and out of the boom with a big enough radius for like .035 music wire. Also set up your rods so that critical functions like up elevator right rudder and right aileron are pull towards the servo.

Not like it has to last for 50 years.......oh wait, I have one like that, but I can't trust the glue holding it together anymore

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
What I did was make a hatch in the boom, so when the boom is slid into the fuse the hatch is held closed.
But if I slide the boom out I can open the hatch and adjust the servos.
It's simple and effective

SSgt Duramax

I outside mount on planes like that. Isnt as pretty but works. Also, what matthew said will work.

For servo rods i just run that galvanized hanging wire through as many coffee stirrers as required and it works well and you have control rods however long you want them.

Downside to the outside mount is that you cant get them as far forward for CG issues which are real for that plane. You can build a longer nose or just toss a 4000 mah battery in the nose like i did.

randyrls

Randy
Thanks for the ideas. The current design elevator and it's control horn are pull for down, not up. The push rod would have to be on the top of the elevator to "pull for up" I I usually mount the servos sideways, but I may look at mounting them upside down and making a "hatch" in the bottom of the boom. I wonder also if the servos could be mounted where the access hole is on the top of the boom.

My flying buddies call my explorer "The Brown Paper Bag" appropriate......

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Thanks for the ideas. The current design elevator and it's control horn are pull for down, not up. The push rod would have to be on the top of the elevator to "pull for up" I I usually mount the servos sideways, but I may look at mounting them upside down and making a "hatch" in the bottom of the boom. I wonder also if the servos could be mounted where the access hole is on the top of the boom.

My flying buddies call my explorer "The Brown Paper Bag" appropriate......
Lol😂

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.... My next one I may put servo linkage stoppers on the rudder and elevator control horns..... But how to route the push rods.
+1 on coffee stirrers, zip ties also work, make a loop and push the tail into the foam to anchor pushrods.

I prefer Great Planes servo stoppers. They have a square body, easy to grip with a pliers. They have a socket head screws, much easier to tighten, no need to push to grip as needed with a Philipps head screw. They have a push on back, allowing the stopper to rotate freely, with threaded backers, you need a drop of thread lock to keep the from fall off.