ACE All Star Biplane

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Still looks like Christmas ribbon candy or at least just as sweet. Those colors.... great choice and great work on the build with all the added documenting the process for everyone. Good luck on the remaiden.

I think we need to scare up a high five emote somewhere.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Arrgh! I had helpers getting video of my other maiden flights today, but somehow ended up back at home with no video of the All Star. :poop:

But wow - she's perfect now! :love:

I put 4 flights on her this morning and she is an excellent flyer! The ailerons were exactly what this plane needed for me! :D Responsive, but not squirrely, quick to maneuver, but goes where pointed. Stalls go straight forward, and dead sick glides are long with a good sink rate. I didn't land her dead stick yet, but I don't think it will be a problem. Stall turns are nice and predictable, spins are crazy fast, and she rolls great without dropping a bunch of altitude in the process. The only problem I ran into is the landing gear doesn't have quite enough height for touch and goes - I thought I was going to grease one by and instead the prop chewed grass and she flipped! :LOL: No damage though - went right back up sweet and easy.

This will be a "goes to the flying field every time" plane for a while! :D :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Back at the field with the All Star again today. Fourteen total flights so far and she's my favorite flyer right now. More stable and less bothered by wind than my EVA, more responsive than my Dreamer, floatier than the Newbee, and has great presence on a low pass across the field! :D

I even flew it in two rounds of "lobster combat" at the field today, chasing a tow plane with a 50' streamer along with a bunch of friends. The goal is to cut the biggest piece of streamer you can without hitting the tow plane. No score for me in the first round, but early in the second round I was forced to land when my motor got bound up in this! :D

IMG_20191221_114826-1024x768.jpg

Luckily I was right side-up and pointed down the runway when I made the cut - was able to dead stick into a perfect landing! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
As of today I hit 30 flights with the All Star - the most I've had on any RC plane since my FT Tiny Trainer - and she still handles great! There was a bit of a cross wind at the field today, which you can see in one of the take offs, and both the landings I caught on video.

If you're thinking about building one of these - go for it! :)