Achievement Unlocked - Used Radian

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Last night I got to check off a plane from my wish list.

Picked up a very nice (used) Radian.

I've wanted one since last summer when I had the chance to fly with Chris.

IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0449.JPG

I came home after FF and used my Bixler to go soaring. Worked out well but I was always having to strip out the FPV gear.

So last week I posted a note with the local group and presto.

According to the previous owner he flew the Radian about 10 times before deciding he wanted something different.

IMG_3652.JPG IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3654.JPG IMG_3655.JPG

Can't wait till July.

abieex

Mentor
Keep your eyes on the forum as I'm about to post a thread about gliders at FF2015. I'm bringing my Radian and hope others will too. Sounds like I can count on you!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
+1 for a glider gaggle!!!

(dang. I'll have to decide *which one*)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Keep your eyes on the forum as I'm about to post a thread about gliders at FF2015. I'm bringing my Radian and hope others will too. Sounds like I can count on you!

Yes both the big Radian and the UMX will make the trip.

They are very nice to get above all the action.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ha! coordination is easy . . . if you have someone throw it for you ;)

DharanFlyer

Nice. I have the Radian on my wish list. All due to the rave reviews that Chris and Wayne give it. Went to a swap meet last weekend but not much luck in the foamie department.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nice. I have the Radian on my wish list. All due to the rave reviews that Chris and Wayne give it. Went to a swap meet last weekend but not much luck in the foamie department.

Yeah only my 2nd plane I've been able to purchase used.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
For being used it appeared in great shape. Good luck with it.

Yes pleasant surprise. Should serve me well.

If the weather holds up for the weekend I'll give it a good test.

I only have 2 3S 1000's in my stock so they will be used on this plane.

I'll look into getting some 1300's or 1500's later on.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Are you receiving me?

A little Golden Earring :)

So last night I was trying to setup a case-less Orange R615 receiver.

Really tempted to put some vertical servo pins into the place vs the 90's.

Stock radio setup. One of those puppies is $40.00 here
hqdefault.jpg

11150315_10155403516790416_756052393442616083_n.jpg

10520855_10155403506325416_3792438339134022532_n.jpg

10986936_10155403626055416_2384033905109576647_n.jpg

11071037_10155403506290416_6702224946973131989_n.jpg

I have a little work to do to make it all perfect.
This weekend I'll do a range test before putting the Radian in the air for sure.

Last edited:

abieex

Mentor
Make sure you also do the glide test and check the prop and spinner closely. Ask me how I know to do this. Steve

quorneng

Master member
Not wishing to cause concern but the aerial location could be cause for concern. One aerial is quite close to the pair of servos and the other rather shielded by the battery.

Theflyingfoam

Your range could be increased by moving the reciever away from the servos and battery (mostly the battery though) batteries soak up radio signal!

earthsciteach

Dan - we def have to bring our mystery sailplanes back. If for nothing else, so someone can tell us what they are.

Maybe I'll have my big ASW-15 done this year…

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Dan - we def have to bring our mystery sailplanes back. If for nothing else, so someone can tell us what they are.

Maybe I'll have my big ASW-15 done this year…

Oh, She's coming along. As are at least two other gliders . . . or three . . . well 4 if you count the UMX radian, but she's so small, it's really 3.5

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Working on the CG

Played around with the 615's location but I will order a long whip receiver today.

CG with a 3S 1000 is with the battery all the way to the back.
With the 2200 the battery is a bit more forward.

I'll do some glide tests and a range check before setting her lose.

IMG_3671.JPG IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3680.JPG IMG_3681.JPG

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Lovely plane :)

Did 2 flights on Sunday in some decent windy conditions.

I estimate the 3S 1000 will give me about 4 minutes of run time but the Radian was much happier with the battery slightly forward.
All the way to the back it was a touch tail heavy. So I do think the 3S 1500's will be perfect.

No issues with the DSMX radio but I will get something with some long whip antennas.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yeah, at our club, people seem to lose a lot of Radians to huge thermals and letting them get too far downwind... The club president just got a call this week from someone walking in the woods who found his Radian in January (lost on the New Years Day frozen finger fun fly) -- it's now April, but the guy told him that since his contact details were on the bottom of the plane, when he found it, it was all iced over so he didn't see it so he just put it in his shed for the entire winter. It didn't thaw until just this past week, and he saw the contact details and called to have it picked up.

At any rate, it seems like a good plane to make sure contact details are easy to find, (even in the winter) and that the RF system is geared for longish range.