Achievement Unlocked - Used Radian

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Next time I'll see if someone can get some nice flying photos.

IMG_3747.JPG IMG_3748.JPG

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
New receiver and batteries

Parts order came in.

A new receiver with longer antennas.

OrangeRx DSMX Compatible DSMX 3Ch S.BUS 2.4Ghz Rx (twin long antenna version)

And some proper sized batteries.

Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack

Looking forward to fly this plane :)

IMG_3832.jpg IMG_3843.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Nice flight

I took the Radian up on Sunday to test the new RX and batteries.

Even had James at the stick for a while (a lot of effort without a buddy box)

Lots of run time with those 1300s.

IMG_3904.JPG IMG_3905.JPG

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
20 minutes of flying

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Video is still uploading but one of my favourite flights so far this season.

I simply enjoy the Radian so much.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 11.28.57 PM.png

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Notreallyme has one of these, they are very cool planes and are very impressive in the air. We just need to find a field farther from the airport so he can fly it high enough.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Unofficial but cracked 30 minutes

IMG_4301.JPG

Sunday's conditions were perfect for the Radian.

My only regret was I did not time the flight.
Have to program the plane into the new radio and setup the dual timers.

With high winds and plenty of thermal action I was having a great time.
Worked out well because the field was packed with runners and cricket players.

So I launched and just enjoyed the flight.

Really this was my first time playing with thermals. WOW at one point I was certain the plane was doing to do an axis roll.
I quickly figured out the sweet spots and would just pack the Radian in orbit and feel around.

My Dad was up with his Bixler and was having a lot more difficultly slowing that plane down to match what the Radian could do.

I'm so happy with this plane.

LooseBruce

Yeah, at our club, people seem to lose a lot of Radians to huge thermals and letting them get too far downwind... The club president just got a call this week from someone walking in the woods who found his Radian in January (lost on the New Years Day frozen finger fun fly) -- it's now April, but the guy told him that since his contact details were on the bottom of the plane, when he found it, it was all iced over so he didn't see it so he just put it in his shed for the entire winter. It didn't thaw until just this past week, and he saw the contact details and called to have it picked up.

At any rate, it seems like a good plane to make sure contact details are easy to find, (even in the winter) and that the RF system is geared for longish range.

I can relate to this. I just lost my UMX Radian a couple of days ago. Last known location = downwind.

I am considering buying a tracking device (Marco Polo). It may be too heavy for the UMX Radian but would do nicely in my other planes. About a month ago I lost my FT Mini Guinea in the same location. My wife happened to be walking the dog 1/2 mile away and she heard it crash. We found that one but the UMX Radian is gone!
LooseBruce

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Is it really worth it? I have a 9xr so it will be the next upgrade

That is a loaded question. For me I was at the point where I had filled the memory on both of my 9x radios.
One is a stock module and the other I've modified to allow me to swap in the Orange dsmx and 433 modules.

I'd initially planned on buying a 9XR Pro but the thanks happened to be local and cheaper (used) then the 9X option.

I guess it all depends on how you see your future needs.
Mine were simple. Voice warnings and lots of memory.
The FRSKY stuff is cool but I can function just fine with my current modules.

Hope that helps. I've not flown with the taranis but it feels like the 9x. Just more 3 way switches which I do like.

Spastickitten

Ok it gives me something to think about! Can't wait to hear you in the podcast when the next one comes out... I've been able to talk to some of the FT guys and they are a great bunch! Too bad they aren't that popular... yet! ^w^