Acro mode

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
What is the point of acro mode?

Is it simply a legacy from days before we had autolevel technology or am I missing some value that acro mode provides other than overcoming limitations of the KK2 board?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ever tried to do a flip in a strong self level?

I don't reccomend it ;)

Personally, I'm playing around with the 1.6++ rom, moded by RC911, which has a SL mix mode. In the center, stick response is fully self level. on the edges, the stick response is fully acro. RC911 supplied three variations (high, medium,low) which changes how big the selflevel center is, how short/long of a throw it transitions between them, and how rapidly self level reasserts itself. I really like the swooshy responsive feel I get from my V-tail, but release the control and it gently re-levels and flows onward following momentum.

Overall, the SL makes the craft *much* eaier to pilot, but only by removing agiliity from your controls.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
My only true crater in auto level mode was caused by me trying to flip with stick scalings at 30 in autolevel mode on a KK2.

I never would have tried it but that girl was soooooo fine... :D

FT David says you can do it, but your scalings need to be much higher.

So you are saying that autolevel removes agility from the controls. How? I understood that was set by stick scaling and offset by expos.

My experience is that the controls work the same with one exception, in autolevel, when the sticks center so does the copter. In acro mode, when the sticks center, the craft continues to fly in whatever direction it was flying in defiance of the sticks.

Oh and where did you get 1.6++rom. :) This sounds like a solution for the KK2 self level or flip conundrum.

I don't think my MultiWii will cause me to choose between flips/rolls and autolevel mode. I could be wrong as I have yet to get it in the air to know.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I Downloaded 1.6++ straight from LazyZero's flash tool. Just another one of the roms available.

I've said it before, chicks dig helis . . . but crashes? not so much.

There are fundamental diffrences in how the control is interperated between the two modes, but I'm only vaugly familiar with the guts.

IIRC, SL stick position equates to target angle off of level, where acro stick position equates to target angle *rate* off of not rotating. Since "angle" is measured by a accelerometer reading (it's just a number), a high scaling, high throw command could litteraly equate to "go to 270 degrees", at which point, if you get there before finding the ground, the copter is 3/4 flipped when you release the control and it seeks the fastest way back to level.

In that case, SL will be twitchy as all get out, so you'll need expo, then acro starts needing higher adjustments to keep ahead of (making it harder to use). If the scaling isn't set high enough, however, it doesn't matter how far the copter can fall, it will never go much past the target angle in SL and therefore will never flip.

Frankly the accelerometer/gyro "mix" idea in 1.6++ really works well -- very controllable and stable on medium/high rate with great roll/pitch authority. Multiwii has it's own selection of modes, and mixtures thereof, combining not just the gyros and accelerometers the KK2 has, but barometers, compasases and GPS's into the control mixs as well. Those, however I've only heard of, but don't understand.