Adams (FliteTest) board againt Westfoam board

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I picked up a couple of sheets of Adams waterproof foam board (FliteTest board) as I saw it at the Leeds Model Shop.
Just out of interest I measured and compared it to the Westfoam board that Hobbycraft sell.
Results here...
1538830686833.png

That make Westfoam board 63% heavier - no wonder all my planes come in so overweight!!!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes, you would be better off using a lighter foam board. I’ve had exclent results with Adams fb from Dollar Tree OR Ross's fb from Walmart.

IanSR

If you went into Poundland and asked for foamboard they'd probably call the police on you thinking it was some street code word for drugs lol.

This was why I hunted down some FT stuff, it instantly shaved about 40% off the weight of models, in the end it actually wasn't that much more expensive per-sheet than West stuff, in fact for me it's cheaper to order 25 sheets online from somewhere like LMS than it is buy 25 sheets from the local Hobbycraft.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Andrew Newton uses tape covered depron as alternative to foam board. I’ve never seen him built a FT plane but there is no reason why his techniques would not work.

daxian

Elite member
hey Caroline ...did the same thing after seeing leeds model shop in one of your posts ...was very surprised at the difference from what i normally use ..never did the comparison weight wise ,it was the thickness that got me !!
i have also tried HK stuff ,which is more of a depron style (no paper) but that stuff is way too brittle...no good for fuselage areas ...but makes a nice light wing and if covered in laminate, holds up well !!
swings and roundabouts for us brits ...but we get there !!!

messyhead

So I've been looking at some foam board. Is the Graupner Vector Board similar to the FT board? I also found foam-board.co.uk that do 3mm board. Has anyone tried that?

IanSR

I've no idea but unless you have a specific reason for NOT using FT foamboard, then just buy it from whatever store is closest, Sussex Model Center, Leeds Models etc. all sell the stuff, that way you know you are using the correct foamboard for the job and not cutting corners or making your model 40% heavier for the sake of saving 75p.

A Bloody Barron costs between £4 and £6 a throw depending where you buy the FT Foamboard from, the guys at the field scoffed at it until they realised how cheap they were to build and how quick they can be put together (2 hours).

Last edited:

messyhead

Well, I have 8 sheets of westfoam board at the moment. It only cost £20, so I'd like to try using it first before ordering more. I know everyone says it's heavy, and no use, but I'm going to experiment with it. I want to use it to practice building a model, even if it ends up not flying, I'll learn how to build with FB.

I was trying some things with it this morning, and found that I can easily remove the paper by running an iron over it for a few seconds, so that removes some weight. Also, it can be folded over if I leave the paper on one side, then score the other side.

And anyway, buying this FB isn't a total loss as I can build other things with my son and put a raspberry pi in it. We also built a water bottle rocket last night, and made fins with it.

I've no idea but unless you have a specific reason for NOT using FT foamboard, then just buy it from whatever store is closest, Sussex Model Center, Leeds Models etc. all sell the stuff, that way you know you are using the correct foamboard for the job and not cutting corners or making your model 40% heavier for the sake of saving 75p.

A Bloody Barron costs between £4 and £6 a throw depending where you buy the FT Foamboard from, the guys at the field scoffed at it until they realised how cheap they were to build and how quick they can be put together (2 hours).

I don't live near any shops that stock the FT board, so I'd have to add the cost of delivery.

messyhead

Another question regarding wesfoam board. Is it the paper covering that makes it heavy? Is the foam on it's own without the covering light enough to be usable? I've no way of weighing it myself to check.

FDS

Elite member
You can use Westfoam, you just get a heavier bird, so you need to add length to the nose to counter balance the tail and the corresponding extra weight will mean the wing loading is higher so the plane is less “floaty” to fly and usually needs to fly faster. Minis are particularly badly affected due to their already higher wing loading, those you either make in 3mm westboard or FT foam.