Adding "Return to home" to FPV

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor

UndCon

UndCon
Automatic RTH is also available with Eagletree gear
(by radio command or by loss off signal)

//UndCon

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The thing is, I already have an OSD. I would either have to ditch my Remzibi OSD or go with an autopilot/return to home that doesn't have integrated OSD.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
My Flux Capacitor just came in!

6b3e786f.jpg

1d0d3127.jpg

Chris

Living the dream!
If you really need RTH/RTL then I suggest selling your current OSD and putting the cash towards a new one with RTH/RTL

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
If I had done more research at the beginning I would have saved money in the long run by getting an OSD with built-in RTH/RTL. As it is, I like the Remzibi OSD and the FY-31 has features that the integrated OSD/RTH units lack.

arif

The problem with getting a separate system like FY31AP is you end up with having to use an extra GPS receiver since, as far as I know, there is no way to share the receivers.

Someone correct me if that's not true

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Right. The FY-31AP will interface with the FY117 OSD so you don't have to use a second GPS unit. I'll have to do mine like this guy until I decide to get the Nova OSD.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
For what its worth I've just got my hands on the NOVA OSD and I plan on trying it out as soon as I work out the wiring. The documentation is somewhat lacking and I've been reading through the RC Forums Thread on this Unit. Will let you know how it goes soon.

Hey Gang

I've noticed on a few forums that there is a bug with the Nova OSD mAh. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find what the bug exactly is. I've noticed with mine that it is not entirely accurate. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Kind Regards

Jason

treadd

Uber N00b
Heya DM,

So after having already ordered a NOVA 1.1, and reading through literally 90 pages of NOVA system posts on rcgroups, here is what I learned-

1) People still report the mah bug (which manifests itself as an incorrect reading on mah used as shown on the OSD) with the 1.1 version firmware which was supposed to fix the bug.

2) There is a workaround, although its a little tricky. (Workaround below after my attempt at explaining it) It basically revolves around the NOVA system's power sensor calibration when powering on the system. When you plug in the battery to your model and the NOVA, while the ESC fires up and beeps, servos adjust a little, GPS warming up, etc, apparently during that small amount of power usage, the NOVA power sensor calibrates to zero, which is not actually zero as all those little power drains are putting very light load on the system. If you hit the reset button on the NOVA, you would think that it would then reset the power sensor to zero after everything has powered on. However, from tests people have run, it apparently still affects the algorithm used to calculate power over the course of your flight, so you get a variance in total mahs used.

The workaround was to solder a 'secondary' battery connector AFTER the NOVA voltage sensor, plug a 'starter' battery in, and let the system and your model power up. Once everything has stabilized, plug in your main flight battery that passes through the voltage sensor, then unplug the secondary 'starter' battery. Now the power sensor is calibrating to zero after everything has powered up and stabilized.

Check out this thread, post #1277 to read another, possibly clearer explanation.

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
. . OSD mAh bug

I've never actually looked at this during flight as my concern has always been with the NOVA actually flying my model for me. Now that I'm more confident with my RTH and PA modes, I'll have a look at it more closely and see if its working correctly or not on mine.

I'm actually finding some people reporting all sorts of problems with the Nova even the RTH and PA modes. In fact I had a PM from someone on YouTube saying I shouldn't be faking the RTH and PA mode in my video??? This person was actually 100% convinced my first flight test with the nova was fake.

Hey guys

treadd

Thanks for the reply. I now understand the issue. Do you think that it is still worth updating the firmware to 1.1 or simply solder a secondary battery connector?

bmsweb

I had a little trouble setting up the RTH function but it does work.

Regards

Jason

treadd

Uber N00b
I've never actually looked at this during flight as my concern has always been with the NOVA actually flying my model for me. Now that I'm more confident with my RTH and PA modes, I'll have a look at it more closely and see if its working correctly or not on mine.

I'm actually finding some people reporting all sorts of problems with the Nova even the RTH and PA modes. In fact I had a PM from someone on YouTube saying I shouldn't be faking the RTH and PA mode in my video??? This person was actually 100% convinced my first flight test with the nova was fake.

Ouch. Is it me or does YouTube seem to have an overabundance of trolls? And not the run of the mill forum trolls, but ones genetically engineered in a secret government lab to be superior in their obnoxiousness and ignorance. They are clearly are at the top of the troll food chain. Did you end up responding to that PM? Better to ignore it and move on, although there may be some amusement to be found in trying to troll the troll..... :)

Hey guys

treadd

Thanks for the reply. I now understand the issue. Do you think that it is still worth updating the firmware to 1.1 or simply solder a secondary battery connector?

Regards

Jason

DM- My NOVA is on the slow boat from china to california! Needless to say I check the tracking like 5 times a day, which is definitely not making the wait any better. :( The one I ordered was already flashed to the 1.1 firmware. I'm pretty sure the only way you could get one that still had the 1.0 on it would be a used one. Although just from a general perspective, if there is a firmware update, better to have the latest and greatest, even if to just be ready for 1.2. (when and if there will be a 1.2)

I haven't even ordered my camera or tx/rx yet, so I'm still more than a few weeks from being able to test. I would say give bmsweb some time to check his out and see what he finds. From his videos and how-tos here on flitetest, I think he is pretty much our resident expert.

From everything I've read and watched, (especially bmsweb's videos) for the price, you cant beat the NOVA.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Did you end up responding to that PM? Better to ignore it and move on, although there may be some amusement to be found in trying to troll the troll..... :)
I did because he had done so much analysis of my footage, he quoted exact times etc and how my fingers were close to the stick and because of my son's fast movement of the camera it could have actually been a cut etc. So much thought had been put in his PM.

I told him I was impressed with his analysis of my video footage and the amount of time and thought he put into it. I did however mention that I still plan on posting more footage along the same lines and hoped it wouldn't upset him too much. He responded with something like ". . you didn't deny it, so I'm correct" :)

treadd

Uber N00b
What a jackass! If aliens ever take a few samples of humanity to decide our fate, I hope they don't look at any youtube comments (or Jersey Shore) or we are all screwed. Please tell me they do not show Jersey Shore in Australia, or I may lose all hope. ;)