Adobe is ruining my FPV footage

JamesonOKC

Hi everyone,

I have tried to render my footage like 30 different ways with adobe premiere but one section of my video in particular looks terrible with all the pixelation. It looks like the closer to the ground I fly the more pixelated it gets. In my original footage everything is crisp and clear but after render looks like this. Do you guys have any suggestions for me to try. The bad section starts at 8:35. Thank you for any help!

Namactual

Elite member
It is your compression settings/file format you are using for export. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Premiere but that is the issue. I would make sure you have your compression settings set to max quality and try using a different file format.

Quick question. Are you using a straight "upload to youtube" setting when you render, or are you rendering to a local file first then uploading? If you are rendering to a local file, is the video like that locally on your computer as well or only after you upload to youtube?

JamesonOKC

It is your compression settings/file format you are using for export. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Premiere but that is the issue. I would make sure you have your compression settings set to max quality and try using a different file format.

Quick question. Are you using a straight "upload to youtube" setting when you render, or are you rendering to a local file first then uploading? If you are rendering to a local file, is the video like that locally on your computer as well or only after you upload to youtube?

Yes sir I am rendering to a local file and the local file also looks pixelated. Thank you for the input I will look into the compression settings.

Namactual

Elite member
Yes sir I am rendering to a local file and the local file also looks pixelated. Thank you for the input I will look into the compression settings.
Cool, that rules out any compression "optimizations" typically associated with "upload to social media" functions.

There has to be a compression settings feature somewhere in Premiere. I know with iMovie once I finish a render using ProRes the video averages about 1gb per minute in file size. If you use the higher compression it will be a smaller file, but you run into compression artifacts during a lot of motion.

Namactual

Elite member
Just for frame of reference, the ProRes 422 I use for my 1080 stuff is about 147mbps. I am not saying you have to go that high. YouTube is going to crush it in the end anyway, but if you want your FPV in HD to have detail the higher the better.

I have tried a lot of different settings, and I can tell the difference between ProRes and everything else even after YouTube crushes it. There are fewer compression artifacts in the end.

It does take a while to upload though.