Adrobatics

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im fasinated by a good aerobatics routine. The past few issues of Model Aviation have had some really good aerobatic stuff lately. I figure once I get a few maneuvers down pretty good, I can link them up for a nice show. Does anyone have any good aerobatics routines?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Im fasinated by a good aerobatics routine.

Me too!

It's probably going to depend upon the style of flying you want to do. I consider myself a "classical" or "warbird" type pilot as opposed to a 3D type pilot. I try to emulate airshow style, warbird type maneuvers. Key to this approach IMO is the ability to operate in the vertical plane and to do vertical turn-arounds. This provides the setup and the foundation of the routine.

To get started, Imagine you are perpendicular to your runway. The runway extends straight on out on both ends to infinity. The runway itself extend 90 degrees straight up to infinty. A big rectangular canvas right in front of you. That is the plane in which you operate.

The turns are up to you. You can do stall turns, half cuban eights or reverse half cuban eights. Nothing wrong with stretching out a little and using a wingover. The point of it all is that you end up going straight down the flight line, straight down show center going both directions. Each time you pass show center you have the opportunity to show off a loop or a roll or whatever you want to do. Mix and match. :D

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ill take Slingshots view one step further with flying quads in FPV. Once the general skill of turning the quad on all 3 axis developed and spacial awareness kick in its all open to do anything.

Unlike people that fly I do not have the ability to go find cool places with objects to "Dance" around. I have to do it all inside my own head once the quad is off the ground. When I fly I picture myself being right there in the quad and think what I want to do to get that roller coaster pit in the stomach feeling like free falling in a dream with out the spasm to wake me up. Once that starts to flow then its a matter of letting the quad follow the path its movements dictate or wind adjusts it to. At that point you are in the moment and the fingers are on auto pilot and the mind is right there in that quad feeling the motion and the forces acting on it.

When the flight is over I hope that the feeling I was getting and the paths that took me look smooth and entertaining for anyone with the imagination to be right there with me in the cock pit imagining the same things I did when I flew it.