Advice for upgrading to a Second Radio

Lucidus

Hi,
I am really interested in the hobby since I found flitetest and I have outgrown my Spektrum DX4e that came with my RTF Glasair Sportsman from Hobbyzone. I’ve built the FT Viggen and mini Mustang and Corsair so far.

My question is what radio to upgrade to? I current have my DX4e transmitter and 3 recievers: AR610, AR400, Glasair HBZ7651. I’ve found that the DX4e is really capable of six channels if you use the on/off toggle and bind button with the AR610. Also, I was able to do elevons with my Viggen on this radio.

However, I don’t like the lack of expo, I hate the plastic trim levers, the lack of settings, and lack of model memory.

I’m a relative newbie, I’ve been flying occasionally for about 2 years in a field near my house. I also have the Phoenix RC simulator software to practice with. I don’t know of clubs that are nearby to my work or home, and I feel uncomfortable asking to try out the radios at the hobby shop if I don’t plan to buy it there (its far away and way overpriced compared to online).

My future plans are to keep building planes and to get into FPV onboard when I get the money (FPV is another big unknown right now).

I plan on building the Storch next (I ordered the speedbuild kit and the powerpack kit) and I would like to have flaps on it. I would also like to have thrust vectoring on my next plane after that (two motors on FT Guinea pig).

Spektrum has a lot of transmitters, and I don’t really know much about them, how old they are relative to each other, or which one to get. The few articles I've read about it seem outdated. I want something that’s not overly complex but still powerful and programmable (contradiction?). There are also other brands out there, and I’ve read people like the Taranis a lot.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

You could get a taranis plus

It has settings to the extreme, and I think you can even save model memories to the sd card meaning it has a lot of room for models. (Correct me if I'm wrong). It looks like it has plastic trim buttons though.

Ocean

Taranis is a highly capable radio, although the build quality isn't great (as you would expect from a $200 radio).

The Horus is coming soon which has the same firmware as the Taranis but is much better built, with better gimbals etc.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Definately the Taranis - you can add or build a Specktrum compatible radio module for it also so it will bind and work with all your current planes, and you can build a wireless buddy box solution and use your DX4e as a trainer radio too.

DharanFlyer

I started with a DX6i so I haven't needed to upgrade yet, but I am slowly getting there and I have my eye set on a Taranis. Between the combustibility of the radio, the memory, the features, and the price I am excited to get it.

Haven't researched the Horus so don't know yet if I will do that or the Plus. Either way a Taranis is my next radio.

Garret234

I too am still using a dx6i and am about ready to upgrade but I love the feel of the thing. One remote I am starting to like the more I use it is the turnigy 9x remote. It has every thing that I should need and then some. I also found out that the flysky receivers will bind and work no problem.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
If you want to stay with Spektrum i highly recommend the DX6. Not the DX6i, the black DX6.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/dx6-6-channel-dsmx-transmitter-only-mode-2-spmr6750

I want to second that for the DX6. I bought mine last year and aside from preferring a lesser price I have no complaints.

My son who owns a DX6i upgraded over a year ago with a DX6 and now continues to use his 6i as a trainer radio to indoctrinate others into the hobby. He has no complaints.

Check out the Spektrum radios and see for yourself. They're quality radios that are very user friendly with excellent customer service. They also have a wireless trainer capability.

You will find much said in favor of the Taranis and until recently I hadn't heard anything negative about it. The one negative was the user friendliness of the radio mentioned in a podcast by a very respected rc flyer/designer. That said, even if it were true, if you were to go that route anyway I'm sure there are plenty of helpful Taranis owners that could help you through the more difficult areas.

Also, surf the forum. If memory serves me, this question gets asked several times each month. If you go through them you will see which radios are favored and why. Perhaps it's time we make a dedicated radio section.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Another vote for Spektrum. My buddy has the new DX6 and loves it. I got a sweet deal on a used DX9 and I love it. Really good customer support. The only downside I've seen is that the receivers are pretty pricey, but you can go the orange or lemon route if you don't mind waiting for shipping.

Lucidus

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at the DX6 and Taranis. In the meantime, I found on the forum last night how to enable expo on my DX4e (both sticks upper left while pushing bind button during powerup).

Thanks!

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at the DX6 and Taranis. In the meantime, I found on the forum last night how to enable expo on my DX4e (both sticks upper left while pushing bind button during powerup).

Thanks!

Interesting. The DX5e has the same feature although activating is slightly different. Seems it was documented for some specific BNF models but not in the manuals for the Standalone TXs.

From the UMX Hyper Taxi manual...

DX4e (Modes 1 and 2)
Activate and Deactivate Expo
1. Put the ACT switch in the down position
(ON) and the Rate switch in the down
position (LO).
2. Push and hold the trainer (bind) button
and move and hold the two sticks (as
shown here for activation (A) or
deactivation (B)), while powering on
the transmitter.
3. Release the trainer switch and the
control sticks only after a series of
tones sound (ascending tones for
activation, descending tones for
deactivation).

DX5e (Modes 1 and 2)
Activate Expo
1. Hold the aileron trim switch to the right when
powering on the transmitter.
2. Release the aileron trim switch after a series
of ascending tones to confirm that Expo is
activated.
Deactivate Expo
1. Hold the aileron trim switch to the left when
powering on the transmitter.
2. Release the aileron trim switch after a series
of descending tones to confirm that Expo is
deactivated.

Jugsy

Wow, I wish I knew you could do expo on the DX4e! I had one for 4-5 months and just upgraded to the DX8 G2. I considered the DX6 but I figured if I was going to spend the money I should go all out and get something that should cover my needs for a few years, and like you said the 4e is almost a 6ch radio already. Couldn't be happier with my decision, so nice to have a full featured transmitter after fiddling with those dip switches for so long. Little things like slowing flap travel, exact travel/rate adjustments, and of course the incredibly useful voice alerts make the money well worth it.

Theflyingfoam

If you want a simple to use and very inexpensive radio go for the orange t6. I bought one 4 years ago and have used during it at least twice a week in that time. Mine still works flawlessly and it even comes with the option of plugging in a 2 cell lipo. The cost is about $65 if my memory serves mee correctly.