Advice on carbon fiber?

I'm not designing this yet but it's always in the back of my head: A future-ish jet-like wing with a working canard that serves as the elevator. I want it to swivel on a pin that goes through the fuselage. I did this way back on an RC submarine, but brass rod & tubing wouldn't serve here!
Is there a reason carbon fiber isn't the best thing for this?
Is there a great alternative?
For a mini, maybe 26" wingspan with a small canard, what size rod & tube would you use? Assuming they nest ID/OD really well.
Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I would use smething about the size of a bamboo BBQS. Use a plastic gift card or something similar to reinforce the pivot hole.

I'm thinking like this. Or is it overdone?

CANARD_AILERONS.jpg

BTW this is how you can do the dive planes on a submarine, but it hinges through a one-piece tube right through the sub walls (so there's no entry for water). Then connect the servo arm outside the hull and run a flexible pushrod through the hull and pack the plastic pushrod tube with grease to prevent water entry.

I would use smething about the size of a bamboo BBQS. Use a plastic gift card or something similar to reinforce the pivot hole.
You're probably right @Merv. Especially for a mini. Maybe my initial thoughts might be better for a bigger build, or that magical mystery 100+ MPH plane.

Dammit every time I think I need carbon fiber I wind up with a better solution...
Woo hoo!
...Need something like a coat hanger but I'd rather not use the weight of a metal rod. Something like a plastic rod, but that's probably not rigid enough. You know, bamboo might be just the ticket. Maybe sand down the diameter just a little, then "paint" it with thin CA. It probably won't absorb the CA but it could give a more smooth hard surface. Yup, credit cards for hinge plates. Bingo!