Aerial photography/video for a career?

So I'm still pretty new to the rc world but I have learned a lot already. I have been reserching sense early February 2015 and along my way learning about the planes and building one. I also learned of aerial photography/video. And I was instantly hooked. My first thought was "I HAVE TO LEARN TO DO THIS!" But I found out quickly that the FAA has a lot of rules and other regulations. So what I really want to know is how I could make aerial photography/ video into a career

Any advice is welcome. Thank you for taking time to read this.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I was thinking about this and with the FAA out to stop it all the only suggestion I have is this:

1. Build a rig that can carry a camera with a high zoom capability. The new Nikon would be my choice. Why zoom? Because people do not like drones hovering right above them. Why people and not scenery? Because a helicopter crew with better equipment and deeper pockets than you or I probably has every shot of a mountain, beach, or sunset that will ever be needed.

2. Think photojournalism. If you can capture news worthy footage or images you can sell them and ally yourself with the local news organizations. The problem again is people. You can't just fly into a newsworthy scene with your drone. Too dangerous for the people under your drone. See 1. With a zoom capability you can film from a safe distance, away from fire crews, police, highways, whatever happens to be newsworthy.

3. You would have to figure out a way to see what your camera is pointing at and have some very good hover capability as well as full camera control. You're using your drone as a mobile camera platform, not a flying machine. No rules against helium balloons carrying cameras as far as I know.

If you just want to make Ken Burns documentaries then prepare yourself by getting a college degree and compete with tens of thousands of others who did the same thing.

Alright. Thanks for the input RAM. I'm only 15 now but I hope too go into aerial photography/videography for a career. My brother works at the local tv station it's called "WTNB" it's in Cleveland TN.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Alright. Thanks for the input RAM. I'm only 15 now but I hope too go into aerial photography/videography for a career. My brother works at the local tv station it's called "WTNB" it's in Cleveland TN.

Maybe the tv station will let you hang out with their camera crew one day. Not sure what your brother does but it's good that you have a contact you can trust. My nephews started out volunteering at the local PBS station. They would help out with the auctions and eventually they were running the cameras occasionally. Maybe you can start there and learn some things about the business while you work on your aerial skills. Best of luck.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Learn photography.

Learn Piloting.

They are separate skills that are critical to an AP pilot. Knowing how to do each separately (how/where to frame a shot vs. how to get the airframe to fly along any line you care instinctively) will make all the difference in the world. Plenty of people are trying to make it into this market knowing only one of the two. The good ones know both.

I agree with RAM about hanging around the TV station's crew. I'd also see if you can find a good event photographer -- not just any event photographer, but a good one. Expect to do their garbage work for pennies -- BEG to do their garbage work -- you're earning knowledge from them. You'll not only learn what makes a good/bad raw photo or video, you'll pick up what makes good/bad post-processing and most importantly a taste of how the business is run. If you can't turn a profit or loose every customer you have, your business will become a ridiculously expensive hobby and you won't last long.

I'll see what I can do. Just talked to a feller at our church on Sunday about RC planes and he flys at the local ish club. I went by his house and he is more than happy to help me get going in the hobby

Thanks for the input craftydan