Aero L-39 Albatros - 50mm EDF jet

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
It's awesome! All you need now is some stickers! ;)
How's this...

a.jpg

jpot1

Elite member
Awesome work, that looks WAY better than mine, GREAT work!!!

How did the build go for you?
Overall no issues with the build. I had a small gap between the front of the wing and the front bottom piece but that could have been due to my cutting.

Norkster

Overall no issues with the build. I had a small gap between the front of the wing and the front bottom piece but that could have been due to my cutting.

Trying to work out the build and where to fit the edf in the body??

Lots of parts to fit!

Cant wait ot give them a fly - building 2, one for me one for my lad. Should look ace in the sky and that sound with the 11 blade fan!!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Trying to work out the build and where to fit the edf in the body??

Lots of parts to fit!

Cant wait ot give them a fly - building 2, one for me one for my lad. Should look ace in the sky and that sound with the 11 blade fan!!
The EDF goes in the EDF mount piece.

Good luck with your build!!

jpot1

Elite member
@Grifflyer - I noticed two different CG measurements for EDF vs pusher - just curious why. I always thought CG would be the same and was based on wing and tail dimensions?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Grifflyer - I noticed two different CG measurements for EDF vs pusher - just curious why. I always thought CG would be the same and was based on wing and tail dimensions?
Yes the CG should be the same, but my first flights with the EDF balanced at 2 in. from the leading edge flew very well and tracked like an arrow. When I built my first prototype for the pusher setup it was very tail heavy and unflyable. On my second flight with a heavier battery it flew just like the EDF and balanced at 1.5 in. from the leading edge. I don't know why this is, but me and my dad think it has something to do with the fact that with the EDF, the plane is being pushed from where the EDF is located (right about the trailing edge of the wing) and with the pusher setup it's being pushed really far aft of the CG (at the tail) causing it to fly tail heavy for some reason.

jpot1

Elite member
Unfortunately my maiden didn’t go so well as I was very nose heavy and ran out of elevator. I’m running as a pusher. Good news is the nose is already glued back on. I was at the 2” CG mark and will just start shifting the battery back and see how it goes.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That's too bad, how much throw do you have on your elevator?

Did it slowly float to the ground or did it nose in?

jpot1

Elite member
Probably too much elevator, 1/2” about. I was trying to get it down to shift the battery back and it was more of a nose first. Interestingly it must of been at an angle as the nose broke right where it meets the wing but didn’t get mashed otherwise.

Norkster

2 beautiful models built however -- not much success. Thank goodness it is easy to glue back together. Have had 1 good take off and it was ace to fly but more failure than success.

Must be doing something basically wrong - like trying to fly RC planes I guess.

It does not have enough poke to get speed up and tends to lift into the air, stall and then go worm hunting.

CG too far back??

Dunno.

Out tomorrow again if theres no wind, dogs or kids on the park.

Will post some picks.

Norkster