Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
You don’t need to go through

please don’t go through to much trouble. But if you have a few pics of the underside of a canopy, that would be helpful.
Don't worry about it,
Start by removing the paper from one side of the canopy piece.
P1280670.JPG

Then cut a slight bevel on the two edges that form a point. (excuse the slightly spray painted hands)
P1280671.JPG

Next flip it over and tape the flaps together so that there is no gap between the two flaps.
P1280672.JPG

Then flip it back over and put a seam of glue where the tabs meet.
P1280673.JPG

Repeat the last three steps on all of the little flaps or tabs so that starts looking like the canopy on my plane.

Next glue it to your Canopy Base
P1280674.JPG

After your glue dries you can remove the tape.
P1280676.JPG

Finally you can trim the canopy flush with the base plate.
P1280677.JPG

Let me know if this makes sense and if you need anything else.

Guy S.

Don't worry about it,
Start by removing the paper from one side of the canopy piece.
View attachment 150170

Then cut a slight bevel on the two edges that form a point. (excuse the slightly spray painted hands)
View attachment 150171

Next flip it over and tape the flaps together so that there is no gap between the two flaps.
View attachment 150172

Then flip it back over and put a seam of glue where the tabs meet.
View attachment 150174

Repeat the last three steps on all of the little flaps or tabs so that starts looking like the canopy on my plane.

Next glue it to your Canopy Base
View attachment 150175

After your glue dries you can remove the tape.
View attachment 150176

Finally you can trim the canopy flush with the base plate.
View attachment 150178

Let me know if this makes sense and if you need anything else.
Thank you. Funny that’s pretty close to what I did with the first one I cut, but I thought I messed it up and tossed it. Lol

Guy S.

Ready to go. Of course its windy... but if she maidens ok I’ll finish the paint. I know I’ve said it a few times but great job on the plane. ( just don’t look to close at mine. :))
Oh and I was cutting out the wingtip tanks, and just decided to make them solid foam instead of folding them up like the plans. For me at least it was a lot easier than making them hollow. I stacked 5 layers of foam with all the paper removed from the interior layers. Used some 3M super 77 to stick them together. Cut them just larger than the finish size and sanded them to shape. I weighed the solid parts along with the one that I made traditionally, and the solid one was 1 gram less than the original. I guess the lack of paper and no hot glue made up for the fact that it’s solid.

Attachments

• 9805BB0E-2A63-4618-93EB-4657B7209C7A.jpeg
    9805BB0E-2A63-4618-93EB-4657B7209C7A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 936B632B-6F72-4C89-A396-3732B18B8C51.jpeg
    936B632B-6F72-4C89-A396-3732B18B8C51.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ready to. Of course is windy... but if she maidens ok I’ll finish the paint. I know I’ve said it a few times but great job on the plane. ( just don’t look to close at mine. :))
Oh and I was cutting out the wingtip tanks, and just decided to make them solid foam instead of folding them up like the plans. For me at least it was a lot easier than making them hollow. I stacked 5 layers of foam with all the paper removed from the interior layers. Used some 3M super 77 to stick them together. Cut them just larger than the finish size and sanded them to shape. I weighed the solid parts along with the one that I made traditionally, and the solid one was 1 gram less than the original. I guess the lack of paper and no hot glue made up for the fact that it’s solid.
That looks really good, very clean!! The solid wingtip tanks was a great idea, and they look great.
I wish you the best of luck on your maiden!

mach1 rc

Master member
Ready to go. Of course its windy... but if she maidens ok I’ll finish the paint. I know I’ve said it a few times but great job on the plane. ( just don’t look to close at mine. :))
That looks really nice😀😀 when is the maiden?

jfaleo1

It looks really good at this distance, just like mine, LOL. Solid tips is a great idea. Just an idea Since they are solid, next time you could round them off and go with a scale outline. It would look really good with the V2 lines. Good luck on the maiden, it should fly great.

Guy S.

It looks really good at this distance, just like mine, LOL. Solid tips is a great idea. Just an idea Since they are solid, next time you could round them off and go with a scale outline. It would look really good with the V2 lines. Good luck on the maiden, it should fly great.
It flew really well...Until it pitched down very hard at speed, and nosed in. Best I can tell the glue joint on the elevator control horn let loose. Very odd. I’ve used the same glue and horns on a few other planes and they were very secure. The glue was stuck to the horn, but came off the foam. Maybe it was dirty, or dusty when I glued it up. Not sure. The solid wing tips were easy to make, and light, but pretty fragile. Really easy to chunk pieces off. I m about 85% done with another one, and I may wrap the foam in paper, or packing tape.

jfaleo1

It flew really well...Until it pitched down very hard at speed, and nosed in. Best I can tell the glue joint on the elevator control horn let loose. Very odd. I’ve used the same glue and horns on a few other planes and they were very secure. The glue was stuck to the horn, but came off the foam. Maybe it was dirty, or dusty when I glued it up. Not sure. The solid wing tips were easy to make, and light, but pretty fragile. Really easy to chunk pieces off. I m about 85% done with another one, and I may wrap the foam in paper, or packing tape.

Sorry about that. I have built 2 50mm v2s, rebuild 1st one. I am replacing a servo in the second before I maiden it to try and avoid an issue. Hope things go better this time!

jfaleo1

is there a plan for the 64mm. i took my viggen apart and want to build this one.

@Grifflyer has not done a 64mm plan on these. Just the 50mm has been released and you would need to message him about the 70mm version, which I am to my knowledge the only one who has had a successful flight on so far. 64 would not fit in the 50mm and would be to little power for the larger one. Sorry.

chris398mx

Master member
Hey @Grifflyer, do you think you could throw one of these together scaled to use this BDF style mount to do a comparison to your original design with the EDF. I am wondering how these will perform and I could not think of anyone better to do the comparison. :p As you can tell, I am trying to twist your arm.
4 inch BDF prototype.jpg

BDF finished.jpg