Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
A little over a year ago I released my second EDF jet, and it was my first jet that was based off of a full scale counterpart. My main goals with that design were to make it a relatively easy build while still having it resemble the L-39, as well as giving the builder the ability to fly it with a 50mm EDF, or an equivalent to the FT F pack. After flying it for a year or so I started to notice how boxy everything was, and I found lots spots where I could make the design a little easier to build and more importantly, look a lot better.
So this time my goal was simply to retain or improve the flight characteristics, while getting the model to look more like the full size L-39. This is the end result!!
P1280290.JPG

P1280293.JPG

P1280296.JPG

P1280297.JPG

The biggest changes I've made are adding many more facets, and changing up the geometry of the intakes as well as other curves. Aside from a slightly bigger horizontal stabilizer the plane has the same wing and vertical stabilizer so the flight characteristics of the original model are carried over into version two. The power system has not changed so if you've built V1 you can build version two.

I am proud to announce that I'm receiving help from @Zephyr1 to test out this design with a 70mm EDF power system.

Overview-

Speed-
Top speed is great and slows down very well for landing. I was able to clock V1 doing 64 mph at Flite Fest and V2 definitely feels a tad faster, so I'll say it is the realm of around the 70 mph.

Handling-
The L-39 tracks like an arrow and the controls are very smooth giving you the ability to fly like a pattern ship, but it can become "snappy" and abrupt when you really start banging the sticks around.

Stalls-
If your plane stalls it will likely drop a wing but it is nowhere near entering a spin, all you have to do is level the wings and then power out.

Aerobatics-
Since the plane lacks a rudder the aerobatic ability is limited to the basics such as, Loops, Rolls, Inverted, Split S's etc.

Take offs-
I like launching this plane by holding it right in front of the wing and giving it a really strong toss, you really need to give this bird a solid toss or else it won't have enough airspeed to sustain flight.

Landing-
Landing this model is quite simple all you need to do is bleed almost all your airspeed and get it close enough to good 'ol terra firma to put ground effect to work, then right before to hid land, flare the plane and you'll "ride" a cushion of air to the ground.

Skill level-
I'd want to wait until I've flown at least one unforgiving plane that flies quite fast and taught you how to avoid stalling.

Plans: Aero L-39 Plans V2.1

Flight Video:

Last edited:

Daniel Liutan

Hi Grifflyer,

Thank you very much for the Plan.
I just start to work on it and find out that the plan are raster images at the moment. Not vector lines.
Could you re-save the plan in vector format, please?
That would be much easier for me.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi Grifflyer,

Thank you very much for the Plan.
I just start to work on it and find out that the plan are raster images at the moment. Not vector lines.
Could you re-save the plan in vector format, please?
That would be much easier for me.
The plans would just be the basic black, red, green, and yellow lines, it wouldn't have any of the fancy stuff. Is that okay with you?

Loeikie

@Grifflyer - I would love to build this awesome plane, i must thank you for great work.
I want to start building this weekend but dont know if i missed it somewhere, what size do I print this on. Is it A1?

Corbarrad

I like it.
The increased wing surface makes it look all cute and tubby, like an eggplane...
Seems to be no slouch performance wise, though.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Grifflyer - I would love to build this awesome plane, i must thank you for great work.
I want to start building this weekend but dont know if i missed it somewhere, what size do I print this on. Is it A1?
You can print it onto A1, it would certainly make things easier. What I do is open up the plans in adobe reader and select print. After the print window opens up there's a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" I select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. This will allow you to print using any size of paper by printing each part of the plans on a separate piece of paper, although it is a bit of a hassle because you have to tape all the individual pieces of together before you can cut the out.

Good luck with your build!!!

jfaleo1

I don't know yet, @Zephyr1 is testing out the design with a 70mm EDF fan, last I knew he was ready for his maiden and his radio stopped working. If you would like the Beta plans for the 70mm EDF version I can send them to you.

Hey Griff,
I wouldn't mind a set of Beta Plans for the 70mm. I am going to look at building the V2 shortly but there is a 70mm in my unused equipment right now and a 50mm so these would be good additions. Once again you are a talented designer and have a good eye for what makes a simple scale version look realistic. Well done.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hey Griff,
I wouldn't mind a set of Beta Plans for the 70mm. I am going to look at building the V2 shortly but there is a 70mm in my unused equipment right now and a 50mm so these would be good additions. Once again you are a talented designer and have a good eye for what makes a simple scale version look realistic. Well done.
Awesome, I'll PM you the plans within the next few days, There's an alignment issue that Zephyr1 found with one of the nose cone parts.

jfaleo1

Awesome, I'll PM you the plans within the next few days, There's an alignment issue that Zephyr1 found with one of the nose cone parts.

No hurry, it's not like I have nothing to do. When you get a chance, Is Zephyr1 using 4S or 6S power? I have 4S equipment right now and figure it should do fine with this design but thought I would check.

Loeikie

@Grifflyer - I see that you are using a 50mm EDF, and that there are plans for a 70mm version. Now i have a 64mm EDF that I want to use.
Will I need to blow up the plans, or is there enough space for the 64mm EDF in the current plans ?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@Grifflyer - I see that you are using a 50mm EDF, and that there are plans for a 70mm version. Now i have a 64mm EDF that I want to use.
Will I need to blow up the plans, or is there enough space for the 64mm EDF in the current plans ?
You will need to blow the plans up to accommodate a 64mm EDF.