Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

Ihichi Bolls

That looks really good. The paint scheme makes it seem more agressive as a military design. Seems to fly well too.

This goes on the list of if I can ever fly a plank and can move up to edf dreamer file.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
where can I get tiled planes for the 50mm edf vertion
There are no tiled plans, but you can still tile them if you use adobe reader. You can just open up the plans in adobe reader and select print. After the print window opens up there should be a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" You are going to want to select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. You can also select "Cut marks" which will make tiling the plans after they printed easier, but it will increase your page count. Lastly, go down to the bottom of the print window and click print.

jfaleo1

I am building this as well as the beta for the 70mm. But my plan is to make a Reno race version of the wing. So no tip tanks. I have two possible tips to try. One from Race #5 this years winner the other is from a couple others including race #33. What do you all think? These are taped on but they at both looking better than I hoped.

Attachments

• 763E2D59-6A77-4E1B-9977-CC97007D428A.jpeg
    763E2D59-6A77-4E1B-9977-CC97007D428A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 7E859D07-67A2-42A9-BF63-1EEFC9D0C49A.jpeg
    7E859D07-67A2-42A9-BF63-1EEFC9D0C49A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2718205C-9E5F-4D3E-9D21-B17A1FEBBBFF.jpeg
    2718205C-9E5F-4D3E-9D21-B17A1FEBBBFF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • CC015AC1-1883-4EF1-A905-BBA6425AFFD4.jpeg
    CC015AC1-1883-4EF1-A905-BBA6425AFFD4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C7027531-C9DF-4C97-B7F5-F4C1405AD9F7.jpeg
    C7027531-C9DF-4C97-B7F5-F4C1405AD9F7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Loeikie

If i may ask, why change the wing tips, I love the tanks. I was even considering adding "Bombs" under the wing. This will help when landing. Then you not landing on the wing itself.

jfaleo1

If i may ask, why change the wing tips, I love the tanks. I was even considering adding "Bombs" under the wing. This will help when landing. Then you not landing on the wing itself.

Well, honestly I’ve never been a fan of tip tanks for one, but the other reason is the grass at the field I fly on is very coarse and grabs at anything that is sticking out. And last I think it will be cleaner and faster. So basically personal preference😃

jfaleo1

I like the first one.

Yeah me too. I am keeping the second set for another build but I am going with the extended ones. Wing is done fuselage 85% done. Mostly servo and control setups. Then add nacelle on the right. I added a blocking plate into the nacelles aft of the intake. Hope to reduce drag.
Back to work today so it may be a bit before it is finished but I’ll post pictures wen it is done.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I just went through all the footage I shot for the build video and it all came out overexposed and it's hard to tell what is exactly going on, the audio is quite terrible as well. For now I'm not going to do any sort of build guide but if I crash my current L-39 I'll take pictures of my build process. So, if anyone is building one of these, could you please take pictures of your build process so that other people can see how it's built?

On the bright side I almost have enough footage for the flight compilation video!!

Loeikie

Hey Grifflyer,

I am 95% finished. But now I have doubts. I got a 50mm EDF motor that the website says give 480W continuous power. It can give 800g of thrust. I tested it now in the L39 with thrust tube. I get 385W of power and when I put the L39 upside down on a scale that has been zeroed I only get 398g of trust. But I do not know if this is the correct way of testing an EDF setup. I have never had or flown an EDF Jet.
Like I said in other post, we in South Africa do not get the same foam board than the guys from Flite Test. So, you said your plane is 340g dry weight and 482g all up. Mine is 520g with servos, ESC, EDF and RX. No Battery !!

So, can you guys with the experience say if I am under powered please.

Pic's below is 95% done plane, need to neaten up where i glued the top peace and H&V

Attachments

• L39 1.jpeg
    L39 1.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • L39 2.jpeg
    L39 2.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • L39 3.jpeg
    L39 3.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • L39 4.jpeg
    L39 4.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That looks really good!!!

It's hard to test how much thrust an EDF is producing unless your flying because you need lots of air going through the intake.
I think your build is too heavy the wing loading is already a little high so I don't think it will be an enjoyable experience to fly with the extra weight.

On the bright side I know my Grunjet flew fine using a 4s EDF with a 3S battery, so it was putting out around 500g I think that plane might suit your foam a lot better...

Loeikie

That looks really good!!!

It's hard to test how much thrust an EDF is producing unless your flying because you need lots of air going through the intake.
I think your build is too heavy the wing loading is already a little high so I don't think it will be an enjoyable experience to fly with the extra weight.

On the bright side I know my Grunjet flew fine using a 4s EDF with a 3S battery, so it was putting out around 500g I think that plane might suit your foam a lot better...

I am going to change it then into a pusher, will have to modify the tail for this. But she will fly !!

jfaleo1

Hey Grifflyer,

I am 95% finished. But now I have doubts. I got a 50mm EDF motor that the website says give 480W continuous power. It can give 800g of thrust. I tested it now in the L39 with thrust tube. I get 385W of power and when I put the L39 upside down on a scale that has been zeroed I only get 398g of trust. But I do not know if this is the correct way of testing an EDF setup. I have never had or flown an EDF Jet.
Like I said in other post, we in South Africa do not get the same foam board than the guys from Flite Test. So, you said your plane is 340g dry weight and 482g all up. Mine is 520g with servos, ESC, EDF and RX. No Battery !!

So, can you guys with the experience say if I am under powered please.

Pic's below is 95% done plane, need to neaten up where i glued the top peace and H&V
Honestly if it were ROG (tailing off from the ground it would be OK. Most business jets have less thrust than the weight of their fuel loads (citation X+ has just under 15000 pounds of thrust with takeoff weight around 36000 lbs). But this is hand launched plane and thrust rules.
The pusher setup may work best. But it looks great👍🏻

jfaleo1

OK, all that is left is to verify motor turns the correct direction and glue on the wing.

Well I took this one out in 15-30 mph winds today, It was fast and stable right up until I pushed the battery too far and the loss of power going into the gusting wind led to a stall and spin. I'll build a new nose section (or whole fuselage) and try again. Awesome design @Grifflyer. I'll get video up later.