Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

Winglet

Hi Grifflyer ,

Wow! Super design. I just happen to have the suggested EDF setting around, so this is the next built. Just one quick question. How is the elevator control rod connected? On just one side? Is there a joiner used on the elevator halfs. Couldn't exactly tell by the plans or any of the photos.

Thanks! This is going to be fun!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi Grifflyer ,

Wow! Super design. I just happen to have the suggested EDF setting around, so this is the next built. Just one quick question. How is the elevator control rod connected? On just one side? Is there a joiner used on the elevator halfs. Couldn't exactly tell by the plans or any of the photos.

Thanks! This is going to be fun!
Thanks,
I use a control rod to join the two elevator halves so I only have to use one servo. You can look at the instructions for V1 and it basically shows you how the elevator goes together. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S8FZ1rgGrTD1VJw2POIsYHe31xoHRIXs/view

Good luck with your build!!

L Edge

Master member
Well I took this one out in 15-30 mph winds today, It was fast and stable right up until I pushed the battery too far and the loss of power going into the gusting wind led to a stall and spin. I'll build a new nose section (or whole fuselage) and try again. Awesome design @Grifflyer. I'll get video up later.

Interested in the 70 mm EDF size. What were the dimensions, full weight, and battery size that you used? How much did you enlargen the plan?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Interested in the 70 mm EDF size. What were the dimensions, full weight, and battery size that you used? How much did you enlargen the plan?
I don't know what the specs on @jfaleo1 's bird were, but I can tell you don't have to enlarge the plans, I already have 70mm Beta plans for the design.

L Edge

Master member
I don't know what the specs on @jfaleo1 's bird were, but I can tell you don't have to enlarge the plans, I already have 70mm Beta plans for the design.

It has been awhile since I made a speed demon. Finished with the Viggen and since I have another 70mm, would like to try your model. I would appreciate if I could get a copy of the plans from you.

jfaleo1

Well here is the unfortunately wonderful second flight with an ugly end. 20 to 30 mph gusts, but she was fast and fun. rebuild should be done in a little while. sorry its been a few weeks but work and home projects are filling my time.

jfaleo1

Nice flights, that bounce with the 70 looked scary, but you recovered really well.

That little difference in hight between runway and grass along with a lot of wind equated to a really bad bounce, but the wind kept it just above stall speed to recover to level. that and the ailerons and rudder are pretty effective. Come o think of it I'm glad I added the rudder:) I wish the wind would die down some so I could really test out the stability and control better. I want to try knife edge, slow flight, and stall/spin recovery, but it really flew great overall.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That little difference in hight between runway and grass along with a lot of wind equated to a really bad bounce, but the wind kept it just above stall speed to recover to level. that and the ailerons and rudder are pretty effective. Come o think of it I'm glad I added the rudder:) I wish the wind would die down some so I could really test out the stability and control better. I want to try knife edge, slow flight, and stall/spin recovery, but it really flew great overall.
Cool, I noticed how you launch it underhand, have you seen how I launch it yet? I hold it right in front of the wing and throw it overhand, you might be able to get a stronger throw that way.