Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

jfaleo1

Cool, I noticed how you launch it underhand, have you seen how I launch it yet? I hold it right in front of the wing and throw it overhand, you might be able to get a stronger throw that way.

Yeah first flight of the 50mm was overhand, second was underhand just trying different methods. The flubbed launch was just clumsy switch of right hand from launch to TX. Power and fly away with that plane was no issue at all underhand. The underhand on the 70mm has been because keeping a hold on the fuselage bottom is not easy and in the wind I was having a hard time keeping it level with a bad grip. But you are right a better throw would make a better launch overall.
I am actually looking at a light weight set of retracts I have already in hand. I have a paved strip and it is a deep enough wing with plenty of fuselage space. I'll just need to keep space for the battery. This will all require a new airframe though. so my other 70mm fan may find a home over the winter.

L Edge

Master member
Nice flights, that bounce with the 70 looked scary, but you recovered really well.

I like the ground effects of the low wing as it hugged the ground. Was going to ask about what you thought about stall characteristics and that landing gave me my answer.

jfaleo1

I like the ground effects of the low wing as it hugged the ground. Was going to ask about what you thought about stall characteristics and that landing gave me my answer.

Yeah overall stall performance of the 70mm is pretty good but remember it was 20 to 30 mph wind that day too. I added a rudder to the design too, so that helped the recovery. I have not purposefully explored the stall characteristics.

L Edge

Master member
Yeah overall stall performance of the 70mm is pretty good but remember it was 20 to 30 mph wind that day too. I added a rudder to the design too, so that helped the recovery. I have not purposefully explored the stall characteristics.

If you watch your landing in .25 speed, you can see how close you were to stalling and you were able to nose over and recover nicely.

jfaleo1

If you watch your landing in .25 speed, you can see how close you were to stalling and you were able to nose over and recover nicely.

Yeah You are right. I did, frame by framed it before I posted it too, it was pretty stable too. @Grifflyer designed a pretty faithful scale appearance with a great flying aircraft.

I am going to build another with retracts and flaps over the winter. I may pick up a 6s capable fan and removable/mission changeable wing tips. Just to try out the different tips the guys are using in Reno.

@Grifflyer i am also going to try blocking the air from going down the nacelles aft of the fan intake like I did on the 50mm. But with the extra size and space I may make a smoother guide . Turbulence is the enemy of real turbofans, stands to reason in EDFs it would be too. It is such a great plane I am going to try this stiff on a new airframe though,! until I crash this one or I have to retire it due to wear and tear.

jfaleo1

Almost forgot I finished the 50mm repairs last night.
8D5B8F45-97F9-4E51-9CFB-38D79CC2289E.jpeg
8D5B8F45-97F9-4E51-9CFB-38D79CC2289E.jpeg
7B3A23A0-4096-4E3D-83BE-1AAC1B44EDAB.jpeg
8D5B8F45-97F9-4E51-9CFB-38D79CC2289E.jpeg 7B3A23A0-4096-4E3D-83BE-1AAC1B44EDAB.jpeg
I’ll post pictures with the canopy on later. I think I’ll actually put some color to it with some big sharpie markers and tape before the next flight too. Less than 2 oz gain in weight even with the doublers I added. Again @Grifflyer the design is not just good because Italy’s well but repair is not bad either. It too a HARD hit and I was able to graft in a new nose while keeping the aft fuselage and wing. Very well done. 7B3A23A0-4096-4E3D-83BE-1AAC1B44EDAB.jpeg

Johnlenoir

I would like to try the 70mm edf as well if you wouldn’t mind sending me the beta plans and a 64mm too. I’m currently working on the 50 mm but I like bigger jets. Awesome design and thanks for posting these plans. Great work!!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I would like to try the 70mm edf as well if you wouldn’t mind sending me the beta plans and a 64mm too. I’m currently working on the 50 mm but I like bigger jets. Awesome design and thanks for posting these plans. Great work!!
Thanks,
Please check your inbox:)

Guy S.

Awesome, do you have any pictures?
I run 30 degrees on the ailerons and 20 degrees on the elevator, 20% expo.
No pics yet. I’ll definitely put some up when I get it finished. I really like the way it’s going together though. Great design work!

Guy S.

I’m done with everything but the canopy, behind the canopy (turtle deck?), and the wingtip tanks. I’m not completely sure about how the canopy and Turtle deck is supposed to go together, and what secures the canopy down. And lastly where it should balance. I’m hoping to maiden it this weekend. Again thanks for the plans. I’ve been really enjoying piecing this together.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I’m done with everything but the canopy, behind the canopy (turtle deck?), and the wingtip tanks. I’m not completely sure about how the canopy and Turtle deck is supposed to go together, and what secures the canopy down. And lastly where it should balance. I’m hoping to maiden it this weekend. Again thanks for the plans. I’ve been really enjoying piecing this together.
Do you want some pictures of building the canopy? I secure the canopy with a couple of magnets. I fly with my CG right under the spar where the wing meets the fuse.

Guy S.

Do you want some pictures of building the canopy? I secure the canopy with a couple of magnets. I fly with my CG right under the spar where the wing meets the fuse.
That would be great. I harvested some little magnets from a bent 1408 quad motor that I was thinking of using so that’s works out. Thanks again.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That would be great. I harvested some little magnets from a bent 1408 quad motor that I was thinking of using so that’s works out. Thanks again.
I don't have enough foam to build a whole canopy so I'll show you what to do with a slice of it.