Solved Aerotowing

OlliePackman

How much power would I need from an electric powered plane to tow my simple soarer. If anyone could give me an example of a few planes that would manage it, that would be great.

FDS

Elite member
Anything simple sized or bigger should have ample thrust. It’s harder to do than it looks from what I have seen.

quorneng

Master member
Its not so much the power as the tow plane speed. The Simple Soarer is light so flies slowly. Unless the tow plane can get down to something close the Soarer's speed it will get very sensitive and hard to control and if that means the tow plane is near its stall speed it will be too!
It is normal for a model tow plane to use an attachment close to its CoG so any glider gyrations do not upset it too much.

OlliePackman

Its not so much the power as the tow plane speed. The Simple Soarer is light so flies slowly. Unless the tow plane can get down to something close the Soarer's speed it will get very sensitive and hard to control and if that means the tow plane is near its stall speed it will be too!
It is normal for a model tow plane to use an attachment close to its CoG so any glider gyrations do not upset it too much.
So would it be attached on the top or bottom of the plane near the cg

OlliePackman

That would fly slow enough hopefully. I am from the SEND IT school of testing....
Totally. What's the point in building these things if you aren't going to push the limits and see what they can do. It's a bit of light relief for me to not have to follow strict regulations flying real gliders compared to mucking about with RC.

Reactions: FDS

Tench745

Master member
And would it be sensible to attach the tow rope to the underside or top of the fuselage near the CG. I have seen both on YouTube.
As I understand it, either works just fine. Just make sure your glider will keep your tow line clear the tail on the tow plane with whichever attach point you choose.
Ah, the voice of inexperience... I'm sure someone on here will no for sure. I just wanted to put my two cents in and watch this thread. :)