After 30 years, I'm back...thanks to Flite Test

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome! I'm out in Mesa. I've been at this for about 9 months now, and Flite Test is why. RC was a dream of mine since the 70's as a kid, and my son showed me some vids of these guys doing silly/crazy/goofy stuff with RC flight. We went to a hobby shop while waiting for a haircut, and that was all it took to connect with the hobby. Foamies gave me a cheap means to get back in the air after murdering more expensive store bought planes.

Mesa has a few spots - Basin 115/116 out near Elliot and Ellsworth(?) I fly in a local park near my house. It's not on the "approved" list, but it is usually deserted, and the local surrounding residents don't mind. Some have said they enjoy the show.

Mini planes are more park friendly, and don't end up on the radar too much of other park goers. The larger size planes (40") probably worry people due to their size, so I am careful to fly my bigger stuff with little or no people around. Summers suck here, but it makes for empty parks!

LOL I remember coming out for a car show in June, and the car show started at 5 PM in Mesa (or maybe it was Chandler; I forget) at the Pavilions shopping center. The heat was OPPRESSIVE, but we managed. 101 degrees, and everyone kept telling me, "Oh, you barely notice it! It's a DRY heat." Triple digits is STILL hot. LOL

And you're right about the mini planes. The only issues I have with them are that they're easier to lose track of visually because they're smaller, and they're more susceptible to wind. That said, they're kind of a blast to fly! :)

Beavis

It’s good to know that Flite Test has had the same effect on you as it’s had on me! Maybe we’ll run into each other some time. Are you building your own planes now?
I scratch build now. I have a collection of guts to put together most of what fuels me at a given moment, and the foam board is the only thing I have to buy. Local hobby shop provides the wheels and other miscellaneous chunks. My last 2 planes were the FT Mustang and the Mini Sportster. I just ordered a Dynam 1.2m P-47, and I plan on building a 40" foamie warbird soon. I printed some plans for a foam board razorback P-47, so that is on my radar, too.

As far as FT planes go, the Mustang has been my fave.

Last edited:

RCScottsdale

I scratch build now. I have a collection of guts to put together most of what fuels me at a given moment, and the foam board is the only thing I have to buy. Local hobby shop provides the wheels and other miscellaneous chunks. My last 2 planes were the FT Mustang and the Mini Sportster. I just ordered a Dynam 1.2m P-47, and I plan on building a 40" foamie warbird soon. I printed some plans for a foam board razorback P-47, so that is on my radar, too.

As far as FT planes go, the Mustang has been my fave.
Wow, you are ambitious! Definitely what I plan to do too. The building portion is a big part of the fun for me. I didn’t know FT had a Mustang build. I’ve got to check that out!