After 46 years the 1/2A Streaker is back

Dick Russ

I know this is going to sound like an ad and in a way I guess it is but more than anything, I just wanted to let you know what I am doing as a member.
Back in 1975 I was the principal owner and model designer of Allied Hobbies Manufacturing in Inglewood, California. Whe had five RC models and a few accessories. One of our models was the 1/2A Streaker designed for 1/2A Racing at that time. I designed it for the COX .049 and .051 engines. We sold over 200 kits and it was a quick and easy plane to build and a joy to fly. Recently there has been a renewed enterest in the Streaker and I thought it might be fun to bring the kit back to the modeling world especially those that might have a COX engine laying around in a drawer some place that would like to put it to use and have fun doing it. The kit is a Balsa fuselage with a foam wing using the same ACE foam wing Airfoil of the 60's and 70's. Back in 1975 the kit was popular because it was extremely fast with the wing shortened to 33 inches. It was also a great sport flyer using the 36 inch standard wing. In fact we sold many to the slope flyers in Southern california because it was so light (15-16 ounces) and with the high aspect ratio wing it flew like a sail plane. Back in 1975 we sold the kit for $19.95. Today the price is $79.95. Taking inflation into count it should sell for $106.00 which means I'm selling it for less than the original price of $19.95. I'm now 83 and still actively flying RC and not providing the kit to make money; I just wanted to produce it again because it was such a fun airplane. I did come up with a website www.dickrussmodels.com if you would like to check it out or you may contact me at dickathometwo@yahoo.com. I will attach a couple of pictures for your enjoyment. Hope you enjoyed the story.

Attachments

• Picture show our label on kit box.JPG
    Picture show our label on kit box.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • COX POWERED DECAL.JPG
    COX POWERED DECAL.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Streaker top shot 1.JPG
    Streaker top shot 1.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I know this is going to sound like an ad and in a way I guess it is but more than anything, I just wanted to let you know what I am doing as a member.
Back in 1975 I was the principal owner and model designer of Allied Hobbies Manufacturing in Inglewood, California. Whe had five RC models and a few accessories. One of our models was the 1/2A Streaker designed for 1/2A Racing at that time. I designed it for the COX .049 and .051 engines. We sold over 200 kits and it was a quick and easy plane to build and a joy to fly. Recently there has been a renewed enterest in the Streaker and I thought it might be fun to bring the kit back to the modeling world especially those that might have a COX engine laying around in a drawer some place that would like to put it to use and have fun doing it. The kit is a Balsa fuselage with a foam wing using the same ACE foam wing Airfoil of the 60's and 70's. Back in 1975 the kit was popular because it was extremely fast with the wing shortened to 33 inches. It was also a great sport flyer using the 36 inch standard wing. In fact we sold many to the slope flyers in Southern california because it was so light (15-16 ounces) and with the high aspect ratio wing it flew like a sail plane. Back in 1975 we sold the kit for $19.95. Today the price is $79.95. Taking inflation into count it should sell for $106.00 which means I'm selling it for less than the original price of $19.95. I'm now 83 and still actively flying RC and not providing the kit to make money; I just wanted to produce it again because it was such a fun airplane. I did come up with a website www.dickrussmodels.com if you would like to check it out or you may contact me at dickathometwo@yahoo.com. I will attach a couple of pictures for your enjoyment. Hope you enjoyed the story.
that looks incredible, and a really good candidate for a foamboard racer. I think it might be more popular if you add a electric conversion kit too. Its nice htat you realize that it souns like an ad.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
that looks incredible, and a really good candidate for a foamboard racer. I think it might be more popular if you add a electric conversion kit too. Its nice htat you realize that it souns like an ad.
Wdym electric conversion kit? Just bolt an out runner to the firewall instead of a cox. His website says that a 120w motor is also a suitable power source.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Nice kit! I'll definitely have to look into getting one. I'm so glad that you're selling it for that price, now a days kits are getting harder and harder to come by so I get really excited when a nice affordable kit comes out.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Wdym electric conversion kit? Just bolt an out runner to the firewall instead of a cox. His website says that a 120w motor is also a suitable power source.
oh. sorry. never built one so I have no idea about that stuff. thanks for clarifying. it woudl make a good fb model though