After Dark - Flying Toaster

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm listening to your interview on the CrashCast and thought about your comments about disjointed stuff for challenges. Being an older computer geek, I suddenly remembered one of the first commercially available screen savers called After Dark. The Flying Toasters became a sort of trademark for them.

I'd love to see a flying toaster. Of course I wouldn't expect it to actually toast bread or have flapping wings.

In case you need reminding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJDkP5dmLg

Thanks,

:cool:

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I'm listening to your interview on the CrashCast and thought about your comments about disjointed stuff for challenges. Being an older computer geek, I suddenly remembered one of the first commercially available screen savers called After Dark. The Flying Toasters became a sort of trademark for them.

I'd love to see a flying toaster. Of course I wouldn't expect it to actually toast bread or have flapping wings.

In case you need reminding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJDkP5dmLg

Thanks,

:cool:

I can't believe your timing... Shhhh! Don't ruin the surprise ;)

Johan

@Dan, remember that one, it was the screen saver on the machine where we 'burnt' the golden masters in the software company I worked (using 'Toast' BTW)

@Chad, ohhh, you've made me curious :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
@Dan, remember that one, it was the screen saver on the machine where we 'burnt' the golden masters in the software company I worked (using 'Toast' BTW)

@Chad, ohhh, you've made me curious :)

Ha! Now I'm getting credit for my posts *AND* Roy's!

Keep up the good work, Roy (and don't make us look bad!)

RoyBro

Mentor
I can't believe your timing... Shhhh! Don't ruin the surprise ;)

My timing... :p My timing has been off in nearly everything I do in this hobby. It doesn't stop me from carrying on, however.

This was posted way back in May. :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
My timing... :p My timing has been off in nearly everything I do in this hobby. It doesn't stop me from carrying on, however.

This was posted way back in May. :)
Now that's funny! How did Chad miss the post date? Probably the same way I did...

At least you are giving Dan a break since you get to post for the both of you!

Johan

Ha! Now I'm getting credit for my posts *AND* Roy's!

Oops, sorry RoyBro (and Dan..),

Sorry, It' s been a very long day ....
Proof: I just (5 mins ago) got around to listening to the part of the Podcast where the Flying toasters are actually mentioned :)
I got confused by the sunglasses I guess :)

Either that or I could blame the Dope (To clarify: I mean the stuff I put on my balsa plane ....:))

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I still have the After Dark screen saver on an archived machine somewhere in my shipping container.

Thurmond

rockets4kids

Just finished listening to the podcast... If you are gonna put segments about toasters and pulse jets back to back, you really need to use the waste heat from the pulse jet to make your toast...

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Yup, I missed the post date. I don't even remember how I came across this the other day. Sorry RoyBro!
If I would have been aware, or remembered when we shot, I would have absolutely given you credit. I honestly can't even remember the first time this topic came up.

To Everyone - I will apologize in advance for any memory slips. The other day I was talking about creating a build video for the Anycopter when the guys politely reminded me that one already existed... And I was the one that did it!

I just turned 40 this year :p

RoyBro

Mentor
Yup, I missed the post date. I don't even remember how I came across this the other day. Sorry RoyBro!
If I would have been aware, or remembered when we shot, I would have absolutely given you credit. I honestly can't even remember the first time this topic came up.

No worries Chad,

You can make up for it when you guys build the Flying Bird Cage. ;)

jetcage.jpg

But please don't put a real bird in it.

Johan

No worries Chad,

You can make up for it when you guys build the Flying Bird Cage. ;)

View attachment 14951

But please don't put a real bird in it.

Hé RoyBro,

You get full credits in the podcast (06) for the Flying toasters idea, so half a bird case would be OK right:) ?
At least that half a case would not keep a real bird from escaping :)