Ah- a place to tallk about combat!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Sweet- Night flying is what got me started into this hobby.
COMBAT is what got me hooked.
I fly a 55"Grim Reaper combat plane for my main combat ship and a 36" Widowmaker for my backup combat ship.
If you live in the Intermountain West of Utah, I'd love to fly with ya.
If not, Check my blog on RC Groups or check out the flying wing threads specifically the Grim Reaper and Assassin threads. I kinda live there :)
smallerDSC04687.jpg smallerDSC04687.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Ah- you know you want to talk combat-
There is nothing like intentionally lining up on your friends plane, knocking him to the ground and both of ya end up laughing.
OK- maybe that sounds a little weird but it's a blast.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Tonight was the final round of the local Stryker combat season. I have seen them combat two other times, and I'm hooked. I already have plans on building my own Stryker, and becoming a member by the opening of the new season. I can't wait!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Strykers are cool and maneuverable. Are they stryker only?
If not you might want to try an EPP wing.
I've done disgusting things to these wings and still keep flying! I'm still flying the first one I built, it's heavy from hot glue repairs but that just means it hits harder :)

BTW- beautiful country you live in there :)
I was born in a little town just south of there.
I don't get to visit much anymore but I sure love that place.
Maybe I can retire there someday ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
JPN, just wait, I've got some combat for you!

Putting the images and video on the laptop from this week at this very moment!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Awesome- I can't wait! By the way- we were inspired from some of the videos at SEFF and incorporated the bowling into our combat swarm. I know you've got some good footage coming :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Footage, yeah... I need to do some uploading.

They mixed things up a little this year. They had timed combat sessions, and as a final elimination they had a cone. The object was to get to be the closest to the cone. They then decided that in the event of more than one plane leaning on the cone, the one on top won.

I thought this would have been better by choosing the guy on the bottom. Otherwise it encourages people to try to hover over the cone, and wait for the other guys to land before making your attempt, defeating the purpose of the "rush".

I think that it should be the first one in the pile, to encourage the people to rush the cone. This of course, would lead to more carnage, which is the best part of the event. :D

DSC_2648.jpg DSC_2649.jpg DSC_2650.jpg DSC_2656.jpg DSC_2657.jpg

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Monkey,

I suppose you know you have some squirrely pix there that don't like to stand upright so much.

I managed this one but not without a little finagling. I'd play with it some more but I got work to do.
Picture 12.jpg

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 44
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 40

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I know how much it bothers you Jim... :) I wish I could fix it. On my end, the images are oriented correctly. Then when I upload them, they go kilter.

I've asked Chad to see if his real web guy could enable a feature that allows the user to edit the images after posting. We'll see if it can be done.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yeah, iMac software and Picasa use information in the file to flip an image faster. It doesn't flip the image, it just tells the program to display it flipped. Windows Live Gallery literally rewrites every pixel in the image to the flipped position. Web browsers don't support the rotate data, displays the unrotated image.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The other idea I had, was do a sort of "musical chairs" The length of the combat round, is the length of the music played in the background. When the music stops, the combat is over, and it's a race to the cone.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It's fun. The planes appear to be a bit more brittle than the wings you guys are using, but watching the foam flutter to the ground is half the appeal. You should hear the cheers when a plane has a chunk knocked out of it, and the people realize that the injured plane kept flying! Then there's the people who search out the broken segments of their craft, and carefully glue them back in place for the next round of combat.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yup. There is nothing like watching the foam rain down after a good solid hit!
Some of the most fun we ever have is one or more of the guys will take a conventional foam plane and turn it into a "target" plane. The spring swarm there were two T 28s flying around, those planes are hard to hit but SO satisfying if you ever do :)
It was even more fun to watch them haul out the glue gun, make repairs and go back into the fray!