Solved Aileron Lock Up!!

Mavic3939

Hi there,
I live in Minnesota and have spent the past couple days clearing off a runway on the frozen lake near my house. I flew once two days ago and things went fine, it was about 20 degrees out. However I flew yesterday and it was far colder, about 7 degrees, I don't mind the cold and know how to stay warm, but my planes started having issues with their ailerons. Just the ailerons. All the other control surfaces were fine, except the ailerons. The ailerons were locking up and refusing to respond to any kind of input from the transmitter. I assumed it was because of the cold and brought them back inside but now even when inside, whenever I bind my transmitter the ailerons go back to that specific position and stay there, and refuse to budge. I am super bummed because I don't have spare servos with me and think that because it only happens when they bind, and they are able to move to the position they stop in, they must be able to move somewhat and figure it must be something with my transmitter or receiver. If anyone flies in cold weather and thinks this is connected to that I'd love the feedback, as well as advice from anyone with suggestions. Thank You!

quorneng

Master member
A little puzzled by the phrase "whenever I bind my transmitter". If you are really having to bind the transmitter every time with the receiver then something is very wrong.
Once the binding process is successful the receiver 'recognises' the transmitter, and only that transmitter, and it should not have to be done again unless you change either of them!
I would be surprised if the cold made any difference to the electronics assuming no water (condensation) has got in although LiPo don't like the cold at all.

Reactions: FDS

Mavic3939

A little puzzled by the phrase "whenever I bind my transmitter". If you are really having to bind the transmitter every time with the receiver then something is very wrong.
Once the binding process is successful the receiver 'recognises' the transmitter, and only that transmitter, and it should not have to be done again unless you change either of them!
I would be surprised if the cold made any difference to the electronics assuming no water (condensation) has got in although LiPo don't like the cold at all.
Sorry for the confusion, anytime that I power on my transmitter it automatically binds.

Keno

Are using separate rx channels for two separate servos or are you using a "Y" harness to connect your ailerons? Sounds like "Y" setup as both servos fail. If that is the case the issue could be a connector issue on the rx. Well anyway hope you get it fixed and back to flying.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi there,
I live in Minnesota and have spent the past couple days clearing off a runway on the frozen lake near my house. I flew once two days ago and things went fine, it was about 20 degrees out. However I flew yesterday and it was far colder, about 7 degrees, I don't mind the cold and know how to stay warm, but my planes started having issues with their ailerons. Just the ailerons. All the other control surfaces were fine, except the ailerons. The ailerons were locking up and refusing to respond to any kind of input from the transmitter. I assumed it was because of the cold and brought them back inside but now even when inside, whenever I bind my transmitter the ailerons go back to that specific position and stay there, and refuse to budge. I am super bummed because I don't have spare servos with me and think that because it only happens when they bind, and they are able to move to the position they stop in, they must be able to move somewhat and figure it must be something with my transmitter or receiver. If anyone flies in cold weather and thinks this is connected to that I'd love the feedback, as well as advice from anyone with suggestions. Thank You!
Fellow Minnesota flier here, I'm new to cold but I haven't had any problems with servos.

Do the servos make any noise when you try to move them?
When they are sitting there do they make any noise?
When everything is powered off are you able to move the servo arms a few degrees?

I hope you solve your problem!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It could be a bad connection, try connecting the servos some other way to test them. More likely your servos are bad. The only way to tell is test them.

Mavic3939

Fellow Minnesota flier here, I'm new to cold but I haven't had any problems with servos.

Do the servos make any noise when you try to move them?
When they are sitting there do they make any noise?
When everything is powered off are you able to move the servo arms a few degrees?

I hope you solve your problem!
They do make noise when I try to move them, but not when they are just sitting there. And when everything is powered off they move completely freely.

evranch

Servos don't tend to mind the cold, but things like glue hinges do. They get stiff, and ailerons have long hinges. You may have stripped your aileron servo.

However if it always comes to center, try changing around your servo plugs on your receiver. i.e. swap your ailerons for your elevators and see if the behaviour is the same. This will tell you if it's the servo or if it's a potential issue with the RX/TX.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
They do make noise when I try to move them, but not when they are just sitting there. And when everything is powered off they move completely freely.
Then I'd do as merv suggested try and plug them into your receiver individually and see if the problem continues.

Mavic3939

It could be a bad connection, try connecting the servos some other way to test them. More likely your servos are bad. The only way to tell is test them.
I have tried rearranging the servos but and when I do switch them, not only do the ailerons continue to not work, but the servo put where the ailerons had been no longer works either. It doesn't get locked in a weird position but it doesn't respond to inputs

d8veh

Elite member
They do that when the supply from your ESC is sufficient to work two servos at once for whatever reason. I've had that a couple of times. In both cases it was solved by replacing the ESC after I tried swapping the servos for smaller ones. Mysteriously, they would be OK at first until I used them, then they would either go straight to their maximum position or go nuts a bit first, then go to their max position. Mysteriously, I could work the rudder and elevator at the same time, but as soon as I used in once case or plugged in the ailerons in the other case, the problem came.

evranch

d8veh is probably right if your aileron servo is stuttering/humming/grinding. However if it is just silent, the channel on the RX may be bad. Try them individually as was suggested.

Also when things are going strangely, it wouldn't hurt to rebind the RX or create a new model on the TX in case something has glitched in your config and your TX outputs are going wild. What models of RX/TX are you using? Have you checked your TX outputs screen?

Mavic3939

d8veh is probably right if your aileron servo is stuttering/humming/grinding. However if it is just silent, the channel on the RX may be bad. Try them individually as was suggested.

Also when things are going strangely, it wouldn't hurt to rebind the RX or create a new model on the TX in case something has glitched in your config and your TX outputs are going wild. What models of RX/TX are you using? Have you checked your TX outputs screen?
I am using a spektrum dx6i and a 6 channel dsmx AR636A AS3X RX
They do that when the supply from your ESC is sufficient to work two servos at once for whatever reason. I've had that a couple of times. In both cases it was solved by replacing the ESC after I tried swapping the servos for smaller ones. Mysteriously, they would be OK at first until I used them, then they would either go straight to their maximum position or go nuts a bit first, then go to their max position. Mysteriously, I could work the rudder and elevator at the same time, but as soon as I used in once case or plugged in the ailerons in the other case, the problem came.
I'm sorry I don't understand, so you think that I should replace the esc? or reconfigure it?

Mavic3939

I have the exact same thing, I can move the elevator and rudder

Keno

Take a close look at the pins on the rx aileron channel especially the where the yellow or white lead attaches this pin may be bent or has a solder joint problem in the rx. The white or yellow lead is generally the signal lead which provides servo movement direction. You probly know this but for what it is worth get her back it air and have fun flying.

Mavic3939

Take a close look at the pins on the rx aileron channel especially the where the yellow or white lead attaches this pin may be bent or has a solder joint problem in the rx. The white or yellow lead is generally the signal lead which provides servo movement direction. You probly know this but for what it is worth get her back it air and have fun flying.
Yes, I appreciate your advice, the issue is it isn't happening on just one model its happening on two. The exact same problem on two different RX's and planes

quorneng

Master member
It is worth checking the transmitted servo movement using the TX "monitor" function.
It is not unknown for the DX6i pots on the gimbals to fail and then of course all the planes will behave the same.

I have lost the rudder action on one of my DX6i so that TX is now dedicated to 'bank and yank' planes only. ;)

Keno

Yes, I appreciate your advice, the issue is it isn't happening on just one model its happening on two. The exact same problem on two different RX's and planes
Now that I did not see, sorry. Your problem is weird and interesting as I would like to see what the solution to solving your issue. Reading some of the other ideas I guess you could unplug all but the aileron and put plug a single servo in and see if that works it could verify their ideas. We had a simple rule in the service "KISS" or keep it simple st--p. Usually techs would think the worst and find out after wasting hours that they forget check the circuit breaker. Good luck and wish you success.