Solved Aileron Lock Up!!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Both @Keno & @quorneng make excellent points. You need to start at the beginning & see if your Tx is working. Is the output screen responding to stick movements? Step through the issues one at a time, eliminating as many variables as possible. A servo tester would help.

Mavic3939

It is worth checking the transmitted servo movement using the TX "monitor" function.
It is not unknown for the DX6i pots on the gimbals to fail and then of course all the planes will behave the same.

I have lost the rudder action on one of my DX6i so that TX is now dedicated to 'bank and yank' planes only. ;)
Oh my goodness, I'm checking the monitor function and it isn't responding to the Aileron input everything else is functional but when I move the aileron nothing happens. Not only that but it isn't centered it's off to one extreme which is most likely what's causing the aileron to be stuck in the extreme position each time I power on. Does anyone have any solutions to their TX not actually putting out the correct signals?

Gazoo

Could it be that the BEC on the ESC is not rated very high? I wonder if using a stand alone BEC or larger one would help.

Mavic3939

Both @Keno & @quorneng make excellent points. You need to start at the beginning & see if your Tx is working. Is the output screen responding to stick movements? Step through the issues one at a time, eliminating as many variables as possible. A servo tester would help.
I completely agree and like I just replied to @quorneng the ailerons aren't putting out signals

Mavic3939

Could it be that the BEC on the ESC is not rated very high? I wonder if using a stand alone BEC or larger one would help.
I really doubt it, one of the planes is quite literally brand new, and the other I've had for a while but both have flown before successfully. It seems to be a problem with the TX

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Oh my goodness, I'm checking the monitor function and it isn't responding to the Aileron input everything else is functional but when I move the aileron nothing happens. Not only that but it isn't centered it's off to one extreme which is most likely what's causing the aileron to be stuck in the extreme position each time I power on. Does anyone have any solutions to their TX not actually putting out the correct signals?
That sounds like a broken gimbal, I'd reach out to customer support and see if you could get a replacement but I'd hesitate to open up your transmitter to look inside because that might break your warranty.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That sounds like a broken gimbal, I'd reach out to customer support and see if you could get a replacement but I'd hesitate to open up your transmitter to look inside because that might break your warranty.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Almost assuredly the gimbal. It COULD be something else internal to the TX, but the moving part is the prime suspect.

Mavic3939

The issue is I have opened it before to replace switches and what not. Is there not a way to fix the gimbals wiring my self?

Mavic3939

I'm at my cabin and don't have the means I usually would for repairing my electronics, but I want to try to get back in the air today and as such really want to try to fix the gimbal myself.

Mavic3939

I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. Without it I couldn't have solved this. Your pointing out that it was the gimbal caused me to look very closely at the gimbals wiring and I found a frayed and disconnected wire. As you can see from the below pictures. God Bless you all and Happy New Year!!

Attachments

• IMG_4111.JPG
    IMG_4111.JPG
    752.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4681.JPG
    IMG_4681.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm at my cabin and don't have the means I usually would for repairing my electronics, but I want to try to get back in the air today and as such really want to try to fix the gimbal myself.
Hmm, I don't really know how gimbals work all I would do is take it apart and see if any wires going from the broken gimbal to the main control board may have come loose.

EDIT: Oops I wrote this as others were posting, Congrats on finding the problem!!