Aileron Servo Setup (Flysky)

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So, I'm kinda new to the Reciever/ESC/Servo hookup thing. I've built around 10 DIY RC airplanes, but those were using the guts out of the Hobbyzone RTF Champ, and the Sport Cub S. I just purchased all I need for the FT power pack c, but I was watching the 2013 FT YouTube video about connecting electronics, and I don't understand something. In it, Josh (Bixler) shows all of the servo connection points, and I noticed that there is only one aileron port. In most airplanes (if not all) there are TWO Ailerons, so if I'm building an RC plane with ailerons, where do I put the right aileron servo hookup when the left aileron servo is hooked up to the aileron port? BTW, I don't actually have the Flysky Reciever and Transmitter, as it's still en route via snail mail.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Use the y-harness extension that comes with the c-pack, should be a servo wire extension with two receiving ends (servos plug in here) and one end that plugs into the receiver.

dayve

Use the y-harness extension that comes with the c-pack, should be a servo wire extension with two receiving ends (servos plug in here) and one end that plugs into the receiver.

...then install your aileron servos (or at least the servo arms) opposite one another. That way one will push when the other pulls. You can see this in the video below. This is the easiest way to go for standard ailerons with standard functions.

If you're making a flying wing (combined elevator and aileron) or want fancier features (individual trim, flaperons, ...), then you plug each servo into its own channel and use the transmitter to mix them together.

Reactions: FDS

evranch

If you have a 6ch receiver, I would try wiring them as flaperons, if your transmitter supports them. If nothing else, it's a good way to learn your way around programming your new transmitter. Not only do you get flaps, you also get individual trims as mentioned. It's nice for longer wings that can end up a little wonky.

Just note that if you pull 100% flaperons you lose all aileron control... so don't do that.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
So, I'm kinda new to the Reciever/ESC/Servo hookup thing. I've built around 10 DIY RC airplanes, but those were using the guts out of the Hobbyzone RTF Champ, and the Sport Cub S. I just purchased all I need for the FT power pack c, but I was watching the 2013 FT YouTube video about connecting electronics, and I don't understand something. In it, Josh (Bixler) shows all of the servo connection points, and I noticed that there is only one aileron port. In most airplanes (if not all) there are TWO Ailerons, so if I'm building an RC plane with ailerons, where do I put the right aileron servo hookup when the left aileron servo is hooked up to the aileron port? BTW, I don't actually have the Flysky Reciever and Transmitter, as it's still en route via snail mail.

It's done two ways.

1. with a Y harness on a single channel as described above. This requires that the servo be installed so that they work in opposition. If that is not possible you can fix that with a special device called a servo reverser that you attach between the reciever and one of the servos.

or

2. using an additional (5th) channel and creating a "mix" on the radio to allow the aileron (roll) stick to control the 2nd channel. This generally requires a programmable radio with at least 6 channels and a 6 channel receiver. Some simple 6 channel radios might have it built in. Such radios generally allow you to reverse the channel direction so that you can make the servos work in opposition even if they are not installed to do so.

Reactions: FDS