Ailerons on FT se5?

kdobson83

I've always liked bi-planes, and I was turned off by the FT Baby Blender due to lots of people talking about how squirrelly it is. So I scratch built the se5. Not a fan of 3 channel airplanes and this is only my 3rd one. 4 channel flys SOOO much better, especially in wind.
Long story short, this thing flys horrible. The little bit of dihedral makes turns turn into a spiral of death. Have managed to get a few flight out of it but I fear it's lifespan is short with the way it flys.
Time to fix that. Upgrade it to four channel. The plan is to add one servo under the balance point on the bottom.
My question is, how big should the ailerons be? Full length? Half length? If half, do I put em in the middle of on the outer half?

Has anyone done with successfully and if so, can you post a pic for me?
Thanks for any advice guys!!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
My question is, how big should the ailerons be? Full length? Half length? If half, do I put em in the middle of on the outer half?
The rule of thumb for full length ailerons, the width should about 1/8 of the wing cord. For half length ailerons, put them on the outer wing section, and the width should be about 1/4 of the wing cord.

I prefer full length ailerons because you can easily make them flap-ailerons. On most of my plane, ailerons are 1.5 to 2 inches wide, this gives me an aggressive roll rate.

kdobson83

The rule of thumb for full length ailerons, the width should about 1/8 of the wing cord. For half length ailerons, put them on the outer wing section, and the width should be about 1/4 of the wing cord.

I prefer full length ailerons because you can easily make them flap-ailerons. On most of my plane, ailerons are 1.5 to 2 inches wide, this gives me an aggressive roll rate.
The FT se5 has this nice spot on the wings where connects to the fuselage that looks like it would be nice to cut the ailerons.
1558230239833556737941.jpg

Looks like it should be easy to cut, was just hoping someone had experience with it had some tips or pictures. I'll do it regardless and post my results cause as she is now she's destined for the junk yard... Lol

Seahunter

It may be of no interest to you at this point, but I successfully put ailerons and flew with 4 channels on the FT SE5.please see my post under Questions, Tips and Shares, (Adam's foam board building tip) on Aug 15 2018. I removed Most of the dihedral on the build. I used the f pack and servos, cut through the wing leaving the top paper (see pictures in the post) It still was a little wobbly on the turns, but controllable. I made only a couple of test flights and put it back in the hangar. No videos, I need to learn how to do that. Good luck Fred

FDS

Elite member
Mine is better with ailerons, but they don’t have the authority to turn it completely.

kdobson83

I'm thinking full length ailerons the same width as that section that sticks back shown in the above picture. I'll maiden it with dual rates, 50% and 75% throws with 30% expo. But it'll have to wait till after FliteFest. Still have to build an Arrow for combat and with the kids and wife my available time is limited... Ugh. Lol

quorneng

Master member
If your SE5 tends to spiral there is an argument for using relatively small (1/5 span, like the full size) outboard ailerons but with them both set up a degree or two 'up' to give some washout. Then add significant aileron differential and you stand a good chance that it will not tend to spiral with bank and if you do enter a spiral it will be safe to stop it with the ailerons.
Full span ailerons on a biplane can have unwanted interplane effects.

Fujimo

Any more feedback on this mod?
woukd one use a single servo and bell cranks, or two servos?
Should one do the half length fold over wing to facilitate the servos

Sero

Elite member
I just completed a 4 channel mini scout bipe. Full length ailerons on the bottom wing, actuated by 1 servo configured like the Bloody Baron. Dihedral on the bottom wing only. Flew fine on the maiden, once I get it dialed in, it will fly better.