Ailerons - two servos one input

Dylan.milford86

Hello all. I have been looking all over flite test.com and YouTube to find out how am I supposed to connect two servos to one aileron input on my 6 channel spectrum receiver. Do I need to buy yet another Y harness for these? Or am I supposed to use another input and configure it in the mix of my DX6i? The build video doesn't go over this and neither does the supplemental nor the connecting electronics video. Please help me to out. I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and haven't had any luck on my own.
Thanks.

Dylan.milford86

Also I have a question about ordering clockwise and counterclockwise props. I ordered the recommended props for the ft cruiser with the bigger power pack and was sent two of the exact same props. I just tried to maiden it and the plane spun in a circle and broke my wheels. Aren't the props supposed to rotate opposite directions to keep that from happening? I've also noticed this when I've ordered props for my versacopter. I get sent two sets of the exact same propellers. I haven't noticed an option to specify either.

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Hello all. I have been looking all over flite test.com and YouTube to find out how am I supposed to connect two servos to one aileron input on my 6 channel spectrum receiver. Do I need to buy yet another Y harness for these? Or am I supposed to use another input and configure it in the mix of my DX6i? The build video doesn't go over this and neither does the supplemental nor the connecting electronics video. Please help me to out. I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and haven't had any luck on my own.
Thanks.

Hi, you don´t need a Y kabel for That. I use the aileron Chanel for one Aileron and the Aux channel for the second on my DX6e and than configured as Aileron.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello Dylan,

Because of Newton's laws of motion we have that whole action and opposite action thing going on, or commonly in our world prop rotation in one direction and toque roll in the opposite direction. The larger the mass and resistance in the prop the more counter-torque is generated back to the aircraft.

For multirotors this is a big deal because so much of the flight is focused on the motors where as with fixed wing aircraft the structure is also a huge factor. Quad's use torque to turn about the vertical axis (yawing). It is not necessary for a multiple prop fixed wing aircraft to have props spinning in opposite directions.

When you say iyour FT Cruiser spun, about which axis did it spin? Was it a spinning yaw or a spinning roll? A spinning yaw sounds most likely and if so could be because one prop was delivering more forward power than the other. If it did yaw, was it to the left or to the right? If one of the motors was reversed when it shouldn't have been then it would certainly yaw very strongly.

Regarding your ailerons, another Y cable would be my choice though I believe (I haven't done it) you can accomplish the same using an aux port on the receiver.

This sounds like a very fixable problem to don't lose heart.
—Jim

Last edited:

Dylan.milford86

The plane spun on the yaw axis. I'm a newbie to planes now but I thought that twin motor planes have props spinning opposite direction to stop the spinning. I didn't think it would affect the yaw axis so much as the roll axis. I did just realize I didn't calibrate the escs when I first bound the receiver to the controller. I will try using the aux and aileron plugs for the aileron mix. Thank you!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sonce it was yawing the next thing I would want to know is if it yawed because of a difference in power or if a prop was spinning the wrong way. ESC calibration is good to do but be sure to check that each of the props are pushing air backward.

Dylan.milford86

Both props are pushing air backwards. I'll see if one motor is going faster than the other one when I calibrate the escs
late tonight sometime.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Both props are pushing air backwards. I'll see if one motor is going faster than the other one when I calibrate the escs
late tonight sometime.
Sounds good. Also check your landing gear. That's another spot can can throw the plane for a spin on the deck.