Aiming to revolutionize the world of bicopter flight.

FoamieNinja

Fly Different
Hey guys, I'm aware it's a bit of a cheesy title, But I've been grinding away for about a year now to change the overall negative attitude toward bicopters.
They've always had a bad rap for their instabilities and lack of decent control. Until now.

I've completely changed up the design, and have managed to remove the instabilities that have plagued the traditional bicopter.

I've even managed to throw in some redundancy, to boot.

I give you, my HCT series copters.
Right now, I've got a 250mm, and 450mm version finalized. I'm working on other sizes, as well as a further improved 3rd generation design.

The yellow one is the 450mm version.
IMG_3621.JPG
IMG_3561.JPG
IMG_3680.JPG

Adjacent to the 250 for scale.
IMG_3441.JPG

Another 250 I built & configured for someone.
IMG_3640.JPG
IMG_3695 (Large).JPG

Also, a couple of short clips. One of the 450 here.

...And the earlier 250 prototype.

Some footage captured by TheRcSaylors, up at E-Fest Last February. I really appreciate them doing that. They're awesome people.

Anyways. I'm eager to hear everyone's input.
I'll be bringing a small fleet of these to FliteFest this year. I've got quite a few people hyped to see them. :D

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
First, let me say that I am not a 'copter guy of any sort... at all... ever. That out of the way, I think this is awesome. I hope you can come up with something along the lines of the Chinook. Hope to see you at FTFF and talk about your creations.

AndyP57

Great design but I think I'm right in saying 'Four Motors = Quadcopter' ;-) I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the fellet at fliteFest.

FoamieNinja

Fly Different
...I think I'm right in saying 'Four Motors = Quadcopter' ;-) ...

Not quite. :p
reason being that there are only two fixed thrust points on the XY plane.
The other two motors are for redundancy if something goes wrong. Though they do serve other purposes as well. :p

Though, for the sake of compromise... Consider it an i4, or bi4? XD

AndyP57

Whatever it is by configuration. I like it and hope to chat at FliteFest about it. Looks like you've laser cut the ply airframe? Are you bringing any for sale ;-)

FoamieNinja

Fly Different
Thanks, sorry.. I was a bit on the hyperactive side when I responded earlier... I'm just overly excited about a major project I just completed today.

Yeah, it's all laser cut. It was designed from the ground up. I don't think I'll be able to sell any (of those) frames right now though, I need to sort some stuff out and find a way to make the configuration mainstream first. :p

I'll be bringing a few of my other designs/frames/etc. with me though, as well as some of my equipment, so there might be something that catches your interest there. ;)

First, let me say that I am not a 'copter guy of any sort... at all... ever. That out of the way, I think this is awesome. I hope you can come up with something along the lines of the Chinook. Hope to see you at FTFF and talk about your creations.

Thanks bro. Ironically, I'm actually a big wall foam user (thus how the name came about), but I ended up seeing how poorly bicopters were looked upon, and I took it as a challenge :p
Things just went overboard from there.
I'm not sure if you remember me from last year or not, but I was the one with the 5ft yellow wing, And some other stuff...
Were you the one that built the wall foam Sikorsky last year? I'm guessing, based upon your thumbnail image. :p

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
That's a sick looking copter and I'm not an MR guy at all! Do you fore see any racing applications of the Bi-Copter?

FoamieNinja

Fly Different
Thanks,
Well, I was hoping to make that happen with the 250mm version, as I think it could have a chance... But I don't really have a way of seeing how it would qualify though. :p

FoamieNinja

Fly Different
Following the big reveal @ FF16...

Alright, since it's already been revealed at FliteFest this year, I'm going to drop some footage of what I was keeping a secret for so long.

IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4228.JPG

This beast. 1.8 meters motor to motor. 8.25ft total length, and a whopping 50lb.

I should have some footage of the mini demo at FF in a few days, if all goes well.

Last edited:

Ludo Bali

Hi,

Can you pass me your configuration on the FC because I'm quite struggling on a bicopter build (it's my first build...). And the flight controller do not recognize the ESCs. If someone have had this problem, please help me out...