Top Secret! Parasite Micro-figher: Model 985-20

What size should this project be for a 'ff 2020 community build?

• Total voters

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I designed this, and built this to see how quick it would be to build, and if it can glide/fly.

IMG_20190817_231020009.jpg IMG_20190817_231409074.jpg IMG_20190817_231429557.jpg IMG_20190822_224825765.jpg
Can you guess what it is? And what project this will turn into?

Here's a hint ;): NASA
IMG_20190822_224906297.jpg

Last edited:

jfaleo1

I designed this, and built this to see how quick it would be to build, and if it can glide/fly.

Can you guess what it is? And what project this will turn into?

Here's a hint ;): NASA
View attachment 140446
We seem to think alike. I have a started set of drawing for one of these too. It is a Boeing concept for a micro-fighter that could be stacked into a large transport. At least it looks like the same one I was working on. Yours looks a lot better. How big and EDF or prop?
Edit: If I look closer I can see a measuring tape, Doh.

Attachments

• Boeing_AAC-02-680x360 copy.jpg
    Boeing_AAC-02-680x360 copy.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

One of the precursors to the shuttle, possibly called dynasoar or something like that
I like where you're going... but I love that name and wonder what designs this community would come up with for that name.

We seem to think alike. I have a started set of drawing for one of these too. It is a Boeing concept for a micro-fighter that could be stacked into a large transport. At least it looks like the same one I was working on. Yours looks a lot better. How big and EDF or prop?
Edit: If I look closer I can see a measuring tape, Doh.
Yup That's IT.

We sure do. Why do you think I was so jealous about that beautiful Airliner.

I have been making projects to use the Spruce gosling motors 1106's with 3" props. but I really wanted to use a 30mm edf, mine won't have enough flow.

@jfaleo1 -Maybe we should combine out powers. I'll send you a PM.

FoamyDM

I wanted to use a 64mm - 70mm edfs for the 747 carrier. the fuse need to be ~10" diameter (30" Circumference.)

JTarmstr

Elite member
Is it bad the instant I opened this thread I knew what plane it was without having to scroll down? lol.

Anyways this looks awesome, cant wait to see how this goes.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

I thought I designed it for the 30mm edf I owned. Turns out i did.
IMG_20190903_071109742.jpg
As with most EDFs near the front, the problem is battery placement. I'm thinking if I make the Fuse a Touch wider, (the wings will take it.) I should be able to slide the EDf back a bit. allowing for batteries to be place in a more traditional up front location.

Last edited:

jfaleo1

View attachment 141413
As with most EDFs near the front, the problem is battery placement. I'm thinking if I make the Fuse a Touch wider, (the wings will take it.) I should be able to slide the EDf back a bit. allowing for batteries to be place in a more traditional up front location.

Looks really good so far. If possible, I agree move the fan back and battery fwd to help balance as well. Where is CG working out to be?

I have 50, 55, 64 and 70 mm fans to work with so my plans (which are nowhere near done) are a bit bigger (50mm is what I scaled for).

FoamyDM

Do you notice a big difference between the 50 and 55?
I think I've got a pair of 64's 50s 70s and if I disassemble my mini A-10, I have three 30s. I haven't been impressed with the output on the 30mm that's free (pictured). As long as this glides well, and is capable of flight it will make my project goals.

What diameter is the fuse With the 50s?

jfaleo1

Do you notice a big difference between the 50 and 55?
I think I've got a pair of 64's 50s 70s and if I disassemble my mini A-10, I have three 30s. I haven't been impressed with the output on the 30mm that's free (pictured). As long as this glides well, and is capable of flight it will make my project goals.

What diameter is the fuse With the 50s?

Actually he 55 is on the way so I'm not sure. ????? I will have to pull up the plans I started with later tonight and check. My initial design was a boxy vision to see if it would fly at all before I went to the trouble of making a proper curvy version. my artistic abilities are slim to none so squares are easier than circles in general LOL. With patience (which as an adult with ADD I have little of) I should be able to get a good working idea of size for you.

The only thing I noticed about yours that differs from what I was eventually going for is size and your tip plates are not "V"ed inwards. but as you say proof of flight is always first.

FoamyDM

There were about 4 or 5 concepts. Using a RAMjet. Most had those fins inward by a fin height. And the one with the fins at the ends were tilted in (like a small tie fighter).

jfaleo1

Thought this was an interesting chart on the project. The dash 20 appears to be the one you and I are both working on.

microfighter chart.png

nesteffe

Hmm, I have a spare 30mm EDF with a matching ESC sitting around that I have been trying to think of a project for. I have a bunch of nanotech 450mAh 3s lipos also, but I am not sure if they will end up being too heavy at 40g for any plane powered by this EDF. I would be interested to see how heavy your design ends up.

FoamyDM

The dash 20 appears to be the one you and I are both working on.
@jfaleo1 - For the record, the -20 is the coolest one, one word...ramjet The VSW is a close second for me. (like a mini-Tomcat)
MJ-3d.PNG

1567608903405.png

Hmm, I have a spare 30mm EDF with a matching ESC sitting around that I have been trying to think of a project for. I have a bunch of nanotech 450mAh 3s lipos also, but I am not sure if they will end up being too heavy at 40g for any plane powered by this EDF. I would be interested to see how heavy your design ends up.
Lets check specs and pull out the calculator:
The 30mm edf is rated to push 200g on 3S I have a 3s 300mah pack now so I can retest but on 2 cell my last test was woefully short of that mark i think 120g.
Motor
View attachment 141498
Battery
1567605560847.png

ESC
1567605808848.png

Plane:

I didn't weight it, but this design takes up about 50% of a sheet (115g/2) x 75% utiltiy factor (25% is tyically waste) x 78% [for over 50% of the paper removed on one side (35% weight savings for 100% paper removal - 20g reduced to 13g with one side paper removed] on one side add half a glue stick. (24g/2) +5g canopy
33g FB+12g glue +5g canopy+ tape =50g

Weights:
Plane - 33g+12g+5g= ~50g
12A ESC and wires = ~14g
Motor = ~20g
Servos 2-5g = 10g
Battery = 24g
Total Wt 118g Say 120g

2 comments on this - 1. That's a lot of weight for a 9" delta wingspan
and that means the Payload for the 767 is minimum of 1kg for the 8 planes plus track and delivery arm.

1567606678032.png
1567608835415.png

I don't know about you... but I have been tempted to build 'em all (too much Pokemon Detective lately), if for no other reason but to see how each flies. :unsure:

This sums up my plastic model building experiences:
calvin-hobb2-jpg.477061

Glues never hold, and the cockpit canopy is always a mess. I post this here because that is how I feel about the canopy I put together for this plane.

jfaleo1

I use clear tacky glue for canopies. Then a little black pinstripe tape around the edges to hid the joint. If you want frame lines pinstripe or paint the inside. Use fine line painting tape for car painting to mask inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

JTarmstr

Elite member
This sums up my plastic model building experiences:
calvin-hobb2-jpg.477061

Glues never hold, and the cockpit canopy is always a mess. I post this here because that is how I feel about the canopy I put together for this plane.

Haha, my favorite was always this one, basically describes the first model i built.
calvin_hobbes 2.jpg

Also is the plan to fly this in formation with a 747 or will you be attempting to devise a launch mechanism?

FoamyDM

Also is the plan to fly this in formation with a 747 or will you be attempting to devise a launch mechanism?
Devising a launch mechanism"Go Big or Go Home" If I'm doing this I was hoping to do 1 of 3 things with this. All of them involve launching them from the jumbo jet.
1. Drop the Micro-fighters as gliders. that circle to the ground.
2. Release remote activated rocket powered gliders.
3. Drop an RC squadron of Micro-Jets.