Airplanes in real life

LukeJ

Ok. Are there any other pictures that explain how ailerons works with linear actuators. Ive been trying to find a picture that would help me understand how ailerons work. You were the first and only one to give one to me which I am so thankful for. I was wondering if you had any more. :)

Thomas B

It’s hard to show a better picture of how an aileron is moved By a linear actuator that the bottom part of the bottom picture in post number 16 on this thread. The linear actuator moveS the pushrod back and forth, which moves the aileron up and down via the short control horn attached to the aileron.

You might try googling around until you find an animation that makes more sense to you.

dap35

Elite member
slightly off topic - where is that located at? I'd love to go see it in person.
Its at the Airforce Museum near Dayton, OH - Wright-Patterson AF Base. It is an amazing place. I think if you look at the photo I posted, you can also see (hanging) part of the Klingon Bird of Prey which was another experimental A/C.

dap35

Elite member
It’s hard to show a better picture of how an aileron is moved By a linear actuator that the bottom part of the bottom picture in post number 16 on this thread. The linear actuator moveS the pushrod back and forth, which moves the aileron up and down via the short control horn attached to the aileron.

You might try googling around until you find an animation that makes more sense to you.
Agreed. The mechanics really aren't that different than what we use on our RC Planes. Instead of a rotary servo which pushes the pushrod, the actuator pushes the control horn. You can think of it as a simple piston. So the bumps I pointed out on the F22 are where the control horn is. That design/requirement caused the OML (outer mold line) to be changed to make room for the control horn.

LukeJ

Does this picture represent the aileron's movement/mechanisms good? Also...as you were saying...are the bumps where the control horn is. Additionly, is the linear acutaor slanted and on the side of the aileron. In the f22 cutawy I fell like it is in the middle

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0

Thomas B

Does this picture represent the aileron's movement/mechanisms good? Also...as you were saying...are the bumps where the control horn is. Additionly, is the linear acutaor slanted and on the side of the aileron. In the f22 cutawy I fell like it is in the middle

That is a good representation of the mechanics.

There are many minor variations in how the components are arranged. Arrangements are driven by design considerations of the aircraft. Don’t get lost in the minor details.