airplanes suggestions

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Not sure yet for a cople of reasons. One i dont have the electronics yet. Two i dont have a scale. But i can look up the specs and let you know what the specified AUW is
I can hunt it down, just wondered where you ended up. You need to stock up on everything but FB, seems you have plenty of that.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I can hunt it down, just wondered where you ended up. You need to stock up on everything but FB, seems you have plenty of that.
I have no problem getting FB. Just started a new job awhile ago so the hobby funds are starting to flow. Stuff has been ordered now. Its just a waiting game at this point. Trying to figure out which direction i want to go with the electronics for the motor/ESC/battery set up.

I would lime to run these minis on 2s and 3s like most people would run 3s and 4s. I would like to go with a higher kv motor to run the 2s but 3s blows the bank on the amps draw. Some specs are over 30 amps on a 6" props. I am in a heavy mental state going over the numbers to find a combo that would work

MiniacRC

@BATTLEAXE I've actually wanted something similar too. Never quite figured it out.
Also, for some consolation, all those thrust and current draw numbers are in a static setting. When the plane is flying, the motor is fairly unloaded due to the absence of a rigid reaction force (thrust stand) pulling it back (only drag does so), and so both the dynamic thrust and the current are lower. The current can dip to even 3/4 ish of the listed value if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

MiniacRC

Example Data on 3S: (isolated from data sheets)
Comparison between Emax
RaceSpec 2205 2300 KV
and
LiteSpec 2207 1900 KV

Motor and Prop

Current Draw (A)

Thrust (g)

Efficiency (g/W)

RS2205, King Kong 6040

25.5​

999​

3.3​

RS2205, HQ 6045

27.3​

1048​

3.2​

LS2207, HQ 7045

24.6​

1046​

Of course, this is at full throttle. But one could expect that the lower KV larger size motor (LS2207) would get much more efficient at lower throttle as well.
As for 2 cell, I'd never fly these warbirds on 2S regardless of the power setup, but if pressed, perhaps a pitchier prop (7*5) or a three blade (7*45*3) would be worth experimenting with.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Example Data on 3S: (isolated from data sheets)
Comparison between Emax
RaceSpec 2205 2300 KV
and
LiteSpec 2207 1900 KV

Motor and Prop

Current Draw (A)​

Thrust (g)​

Efficiency (g/W)​

RS2205, King Kong 6040

25.5​

999​

3.3​

RS2205, HQ 6045

27.3​

1048​

3.2​

LS2207, HQ 7045

24.6​

1046​

3.5​

That helps for sure. I am looking at 6040 props, and it might be a bit much to expect but i am looking to keep it under 20 amps max. I understand that a bench test will always be the hardest these motors will work.

Even on a bench test, if you put a house fan in front of the test the data changes significantly

MiniacRC

@BATTLEAXE
My current setup is a FliteTest F pack. King Kong 6*4 or Ares Sport prop 6*4 are the best.
Especially the second one, efficient and quiet but FAST.
I don't even need 4S honestly on my p47 and 190. They have unlimited vertical on 3S and I'm using only the 20 amp esc that's in the F pack. It never really gets warm as long as it gets some airflow in flight, no matter how crazy I fly.
Even if not the pack itself, I cannot recommend that ESC enough. Being a 20 amp, it functions like a 30.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE
My current setup is a FliteTest F pack. King Kong 6*4 or Ares Sport prop 6*4 are the best.
Especially the second one, efficient and quiet but FAST.
I don't even need 4S honestly on my p47 and 190. They have unlimited vertical on 3S and I'm using only the 20 amp esc that's in the F pack. It never really gets warm as long as it gets some airflow in flight, no matter how crazy I fly.
Even if not the pack itself, I cannot recommend that ESC enough. Being a 20 amp, it functions like a 30.
I was looking at a for pack of 20 amp Bheli ESC'S for 50 bucks on amazon

Draftman1

i just want to have more warbirds(if you know what i mean) so either one is fine. and i was thinking the mighty mini corsair to.
this whole thing with flitetest started by somebody that thought up a way to build cheap planes, there is so much out there now as far as info to build your own, its not rocket sience, go for it, start a design of your own!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's a pretty good deal. There were some ebay esc's that I really liked - just under $20 for 4 30 amp esc's. They start up a lot smoother than the emax BlHeli ones. Unfortunatly the only way you can get them now is from china, and if I'm ordering from China I'll get the $5 40 amp ones.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's a pretty good deal. There were some ebay esc's that I really liked - just under $20 for 4 30 amp esc's. They start up a lot smoother than the emax BlHeli ones. Unfortunatly the only way you can get them now is from china, and if I'm ordering from China I'll get the $5 40 amp ones.
I figured the Blheli ones were good quality because FT uses them for their packs

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I figured the Blheli ones were good quality because FT uses them for their packs
Yeah, they are pretty good. My only complaint is that there is a 1 or 2 second lag when you give it throttle from a dead stop. The only issue with this is when you try to glide it in with no power and then throttle up for another pass but you have no throttle response for a second or two. If your motor is spinning at all it isn't an issue, it's just if you are gliding in with zero throttle.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah, they are pretty good. My only complaint is that there is a 1 or 2 second lag when you give it throttle from a dead stop. The only issue with this is when you try to glide it in with no power and then throttle up for another pass but you have no throttle response for a second or two. If your motor is spinning at all it isn't an issue, it's just if you are gliding in with zero throttle.
Do you have a link to these other ones you speak of

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

you can do better on Banggood. I buy all my BLHeli ESC from them. I really like them and have used them from the beginning. only issues with these are you have to solder the leads. if you get the tuning card you can change settings. i don't have any problem with slow start up or hesitation.

laters,

me :cool:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
you can do better on Banggood. I buy all my BLHeli ESC from them. I really like them and have used them from the beginning. only issues with these are you have to solder the leads. if you get the tuning card you can change settings. i don't have any problem with slow start up or hesitation.

laters,

me :cool:
Where do u get the tuning cards from? Do they come with the ESC?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Do you have a link to these other ones you speak of
Here are the 40 amp esc's: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
the 30 amp esc's:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Simonk-...090343?hash=item3d51d79e67:g:YFwAAOSwvTpaJgEy
Here are some 20 amp esc's that look like the same brand as the 30 amp ones:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Simon...837337?hash=item4688eb5ed9:g:58gAAOSwsPNb3VfU

These are great esc's but would probably take forever to come since shipping from china is super slow as of late...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here are the 40 amp esc's: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
the 30 amp esc's:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Simonk-...090343?hash=item3d51d79e67:g:YFwAAOSwvTpaJgEy
Here are some 20 amp esc's that look like the same brand as the 30 amp ones:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Simon...837337?hash=item4688eb5ed9:g:58gAAOSwsPNb3VfU

These are great esc's but would probably take forever to come since shipping from china is super slow as of late...
Yea i have seen these before. You say you like them better then the Blheli

I am used to shipping taking months living in Canada. I have no idea why it takes so long at the best of times

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member